“Bug light.”

Portland Breakwater Lighthouse
More attraction details
Owner description: Unusual lighthouse designed after Greek monuments.
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

The lighthouse is most often referred as Buglight, and is at the edge of the park on the ocean. The ocean and those distant islands are captivating. There's a proper, nice walkway to the lighthouse. Parking is easy and plenty. As mentioned in my Buglight park review, this is a small, cute lighthouse. The inside of the lighthouse was not open when we visited ( early September), but was likely to be thrown open to the public Doon. Excellent location for photo ops. Very pleasent place indeed.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My husband was all raring to go on this long walk across uneven granite rocks, me not so much.The history is interesting and we have no idea how they could have possibly gotten these granite slabs out into the water in 1875! Which makes the walk worthwhile I suppose. Once we got there the lighthouse was not open. We later learned that the guides are all volunteers that are getting up there in years and do not like the uneven, long walk to the lighthouse. The views are great I will say that!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

If you're a U.S. Citizen, you have to come here when you're in Portland, ME. This is the iconic lighthouse that is shown in just about every Maine brochure. It's the first lighthouse commissioned by President George Washington, which makes it the first lighthouse of the U.S.A. (yes, there were others built before then, but that was before we became the United States! get it?).
Note that there are no public restrooms in the park (only Port-a-Potties) and no trash cans - if you bring in something, you take it out. You can't go up the lighthouse tower, but you can go into the lighthouse keeper's house, which is now a museum. There's a $2 charge for that, which means you'll need to bring some cash (no charge or debit transactions). It's a huge park for everyone to enjoy; great place to have a picnic or just enjoy the summer weather!

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Not much to speak of here, but it was a nice small lighthouse just to check out. I liked the park, and the view is great!

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I was told prior to going to the light house that I could definitely get inside. That didn't happen. After walking all the way out there I was quite disappointed to find that all I could do is look at the outside and the water. Being afraid of heights and bad feet the walk out there was NOT worth it.