“Delicious dinner with local flavor”

Rogue Cafe Restaurant
Reviewed 29 June 2016

This was the best dinner we had on Mt Desert Island. Dishes are creative and nice change from boiled/broiled seafood. We loved that they used local ingredients, some from their own garden. Since our family has a vegetarian, it was wonderful to find options for that beyond pasta without the meat or a garden burger. Great wines as well and don't skip the dessert! For the price category below, I'd put it between mid-range and fine dining. It's casual, yet a nice dining experience.

1  Thank nwftraveller

Reviewed 25 June 2016

I sat at the bar and I love the atmosphere. They make the most delicious bread and even make their own butter! I had fish tacos and they were the best I ever had. If you haven't tried this place...you need too! Yum

Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I tried Rogue Cafe our last night in town. I read that locals loved a previous establishment by the couple behind Rogue, so I was excited to give Rogue a try. The quality and craftsmanship of the dishes are apparent, and I can see what all the fuss is about. The menu changes nightly, I believe, based on what's in season and available. We tried pierogis filled with queso blanco and caramelized onions, halibut, gnocchi and panna cotta. Everything was delicious! Our servers were extremely kind, knowledgable, and generous (I believe they refilled our bread basket 3 times for us.) I sometimes feel a bit intimidated to ask questions or get explanations about the menu offerings at establishments like this, but our servers were very warm and welcoming. Definitely make your way off the beaten, tourist-centric path of downtown Bar Harbor and experience true food craftsmanship with unique ingredients and artful presentation.

Reviewed 23 June 2016

Our dinners were very good and the food is the same standard that was in their Town Hill location. Service is excellent with the owners working on site during dinner. The wine list is extraordinarily long in relation to the menu which is quite simple.The decor lacks the warm feeling of their former site, and seems "in the process" or perhaps minimalist is the intent. If that is so, we felt it missed the mark. For example, the window coverings do nothing to add to the atmosphere and the windows would be more attractive without them and the lighting and table arrangement do not lend themselves to a comfortable feeling. Overall it had the feeling of a cafe that you'd stop in for a cup of coffee.

Mamacook, Owner at Rogue Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Glad you liked the food and service and thanks for taking the time to write! And you are 100% correct that we are a work in progress! We are just turning 1yr old and although we have put hours and hours of physical labor into our new building (you can't imagine how much:) And so much is planned for the future! We had to make a hard choice to spend more time and a lot of our limited funds on the kitchen first and we were about to start more projects on the dining spaces and landscaping this Spring when I got struck down with encephalitis (crazy, right?!). So, I am thrilled that we actually even got open as soon as we did and love that we are so lucky to even have a place that we have the privilege of improving every day?! I will defend the lighting because I remember the night you were here and we totally spaced using the dimmer switches. Sorry about that! Hope to see you on your next visit and please say hi:) Maureen

Reviewed 16 June 2016

Was so thrilled to find this place. Food was really unique and wonderfully prepared. The only thing I would change is working on the ambience a bit but they haven't been opened that long. But again, the chef prepares excellent dishes.