“Rogue Cafe: Continuing Legacy of Excellence”

Rogue Cafe Restaurant
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We were thrilled when Maureen and JJ reopened as Rogue Cafe! The former owner/chef of Town Hill Bistro and her always charming husband continue to wow guests with delicious/elegant farm-to-table Maine regional cuisine in their new unpretensious space (former Top of the Hill restaurant). Be prepared to leisurely enjoy your meal... you'll want to savor the entire experience.

Serving small and large plates, the menu changes daily featuring Maine sea scallops, lobster, halibut and haddock, prime cuts of beef, free-range chicken and duck, as well as local chèvre and mushrooms. Maureen's gnocchi is legendary....tender pillows of potato, wilted greens, applewood smoked bacon, mushrooms and parmesan reggiano.

There are always delightful vegetarian offerings (including gnocchi). Maureen also infuses Asian flavors in many of her dishes. Tonight I gleefully enjoyed panko fried halibut with a kim chee pancake - yummy-licious and reminiscent of island flavors I grew up with in Hawaii. Save room for another Maureen legend... panna cotta.

Attire is typical Mt. Desert ranging from jeans to dress pants, from skorts to simple cocktail frocks. Bring a wrap as it can get chilly. However attired, one can always count on friendly, well-informed staff who make you feel at home. While Rogue Cafe welcomes children, the fine dining experience might be more pleasurable in the company of older youth and adults. Make reservations ahead of time (not the same day you plan to dine) - even the bar fills quickly!

1  Thank Lee Y

Reviewed 14 July 2016

After reading several glowing reviews, we anticipated a wonderful dining experience at Rogue Cafe (odd name choice). The atmosphere/decor is lovely, and the service was very good.
We selected three different 'small plates' (lobster crepe, pierogi, Vietnamese meatballs) and were disappointed by all three. They were all bland and completely lacked seasoning. The meatballs were dense and the pierogi lacked the richness that I remembered from my youth. And while we thought the Lobster Crepe was the best of the three, it was unremarkable.
Our appetizers were the Adobo roasted pork and the Gnocchi - again we were happy they supplied a salt cellar at the table because once you were past the first bit of pork (which was very tender) and had a hint of the Adobo, it needed seasoning.
I rarely cook with salt at home and are from the school of thought that a dish should arrive at your table perfectly seasoned, so it's not as tho we are salt fiends automatically reaching for the shaker.
Wine list was very interesting and creative!
The dessert we shared was a rhubarb cake/bar with strawberry sauce that was also not memorable.
We've decided not to return to Rogue when Red Sky and Sips, also both in Southwest Harbor, and are very good restaurants in the same price range. My dining companion thought Rogue would suit people who are have an average palette or colitis.

2  Thank PhotoJDallas
Reviewed 8 July 2016

This restaurant looks unassuming from the outside, but don't let that fool you. Every single item I had was sourced conscientiously, prepared simply, and cooked perfectly. They make many of their own ingredients, like rolls, some rustic cheeses and pickles. The decor is pretty low-key, and they are understaffed, but I was willing to overlook those minor details because the menu was so thoughtful and the food delicious. It's unusual for everything to be excellent, from appetizer to dessert, but that was our experience. One drawback is that there's not much for (picky) kids, but I don't blame them -- they're just starting out in this location. I saw plenty of locals there so that's a clue that this is a gem. So bring a date and enjoy!

1  Thank cinnamongirl5
Reviewed 4 July 2016

We've been fans of Maureen's cooking since she opened Mache Bistro near the end of Cottage Street. This new location allows the diners to spread out as there is plenty of room, broken into smaller spaces so you don't feel like you are large space. They've got a great wine list to compliment the food. Now for the food - Maureen has a way with duck that is hard to find. I had the duck leg confit with apricot sauce - the meat falls off the bone and the apricot goes oh so well with the duck. My husband had the homemade priogies, which any polish women in Bethlehem, PA would be proud to put their name to. My dinner was the gnoci (non-vegan) while my husband had the beef that just fell apart with the fork. You have to save room for desert. The shortbread with strawberry rhubarb was unbelievable. My husband had the chocolate cake special - and boy how special. Make your reservations so you don't miss eating here.

Reviewed 3 July 2016

We ate at Rogue Cafe last week during our vacation trip on the last night before leaving. It was appropriate for our "big vacation wrap up" dinner. My teen daughter had the gnocchi, my teen son the chicken, husband had the fish tacos (which aren't typical tacos at all but were delicious) and I had the scallops. (I mention they are teens because as elementary schoolers they would have looked at the menu and been unhappy, but thankfully their palates have grown up as well). Our dinners were absolutely delicious, and we all loved the fresh vegetables and flavorful sauces. Everything was well prepared and presented, the services was very friendly, the pacing was just right. I also tried the strawberry salad, and we definitely had planned on desert. My son had the ginger chocolate cake, daughter had the strawberry rhubarb crumble, and husband had the bittersweet chocolate pudding. I had a spoon so tasted all 3... all were fabulous, hard to miss with any but think the ginger chocolate was my favorite, but the strawberry rhubarb crumble was very nicely done as well. Thoroughly enjoyed.

1  Thank Leslie J