“A nice place to stop for a lobster dinner very nice staff food is good”

Gateway Lunts Lobster Pound
Ranked #6 of 10 Restaurants in Trenton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

went in with my wife for Lobster for her as it is her favorite while in Maine.she ordered the Lobster special. a whole 1.1/4 lb lobster with sides. The cracked the lobster so it made it easy to crack open to eat. I had a fish sandwich which was really good just by itself and not expensive. The staff was really great and we had three servers. Even the woman who owned the place came over to make sure everything was good.
Large parking area. place was very clean and as stated the staff was great.
a nice stop along the road and getting lobster is the thing to do while in Maine.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (469)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I were in Bar Harbor off season in early May and not many restaurants were open so we were pleased to find that Lunts was open. It was nearly their closing time but we were still able to order takeout. We got haddock sandwiches which were awesome. The fish was fresh, seasoned just right, and the portion of fish was huge. The coleslaw we ordered as a side was also excellent. The staff was so nice and the service was so quick and the food so good that we repeated our experience the next day also. Because our visit here was during the pandemic, we were happy to see that there were plenty of outdoor picnic tables. Great place for fresh seafood.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

While we were on our getaway near Bar Harbor, we decided to try Gateway Lunts Lobster Pound in Trenton. There were some people in line so we figured that was a good sign. However, we ended up very disappointed with what we got.

We decided on the lobster roll which came with a small bag of potato chips. The sign showed “Market Price” and no price listed. That was a little odd so we asked how much it was and were told it was about $22. We also got onion rings for $6.

The onion rings were tasty, but the order was pretty small. The lobster roll was definitely not OK as there was very little meat on top of the chopped lettuce. It had no taste and there were no identifiable claws, tails or knuckles. Most of it looked more like the fake crab made from a fish.

We’re from Massachusetts and have had lobster many times at home and in restaurants so we know what it should be like. If this was in fact lobster, it was the worst we’ve ever had.

After we left, we looked at other reviews and found we were not alone in our disappointment. We hope that this was a “one off” for us and others so maybe your meals will be better. However, we wanted to let people know that “buyer beware”.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had the most amazing steamers I've had in years this visit. Apparently they had just been delivered just an hour or two before hitting my plate. Also, looks like they've done some sprucing up since my last trip here a few years ago.... the dining room was very clean/appealing. Staff is always very friendly here, this visit no exception.

I was a bit disappointed in the size of the Lobster that I got with my Lobster 'meal', which was supposed to be between 1 and 1/2 lbs.... was the smallest lobster of this advertised size I've ever got. I would not order the 'meal' next visit but instead pay for a lobster by the lbs...... Staff will try to say you often fare better with getting a lobster of this size by ordering the 'meal' but that was not my experience this visit. Even if I had to pay $2-$5 more (or whatever it came out to) at least I would know I'm getting the size lobster I want to see on my plate.

Zero reason not to keep going to Gateway Lunt's place each/every time I'm in this area. Nice family place that cooks Maine shellfish the only way it should be done..... in wood fired pits on the roadside!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were in Bar Harbor for a week..
By far..this was one of the best dinners we had!
The staff were awesome! They make you feel like family..
Who can ask for more...Fantastic food and the best people ❤️