“Why wait in line? Go here!”
Review of Sprague's Lobster

Sprague's Lobster
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Wiscasset
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

This is my third visit passing through Wiscasset, and all the hub bub is for Red's Eats, which has the infamous hour long wait and wrap around line. While sitting in like, like a tourist, I often wondered what the place across the street, Sprague's was like. Never saw the line. Well, this time we decided to try it. Glad we did. Lobster rolls $18 are excellent, fresh and generous. Big chunks of lobster claws. Lots of places to sit, huge deck with knocks and crannies to visit and patronize. Corn on the cob only $1.50. Talked to the owner for a while, and he advised not to come from 6-7 when insects can be a problem. We arrived there at 2 for a late lunch. It was perfect! Red's is a landmark, I get that, and I did it, twice. This time, I walked across the street, got served right away and the lobster rolls are awesome. This is my new Wiscasset stop for lobster rolls! They have a large menu. It is self-serve - you walk up and place your order and you will be paged to pick up. No plates. You get your food on aluminum foil and cardboard boxes - just like the other famous place. If you have children, they can run around on the deck. Also nearby on the deck is the Wiscasset Chamber of Commerce, so it is a great resource for things to do in Mid Coast Maine. The woman there recommended Pemaquid Point, and the trip to Sprague's was worth it for that tip alone. But food is great! Owner goes to a lot of trouble to create a nice experience and atmosphere.
Cash only. They have ATMs on the deck, but have a fee. Bring cash.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We had a delightful lobster dinner in the rough. I had only a lobster that was cooked perfectly. 1 1/2 lb lobster $21.00. My husband had lobster dinner which included 1 1/4 lb lobster, steamers, corn on the cob, cole slaw, too for $28.95. We sat on the deck, with our pooch, and had a memorable lobster dinner

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I have driven through Wiscasset for years in the summers. And there is always the ongoing debate -- which side of the river to eat on, Sprague's or the other place? From personal experience, I'll tell you why I choose Sprague's:

1. I want to eat because I'm hungry. The service and efficiency at Sprague's is great. I'll usually put my order in, get my order, enjoy my food, and I'm ready to drive out by the time the line on the other side of the street has moved 20 feet. I prefer having the lobster roll in my mouth rather than smelling the food that others are eating, and I don't like waiting in line.

2. Lobster is lobster. Having made the mistake of ordering lobster in states other than Maine, and having been universally disappointed every time, the lobster here is as good as the lobster anywhere Down East.

3. Lobster rolls make summer pretty awesome. Lobster is expensive, and a lobster roll at market price fully picked and ready to eat will cost about $22-28. That being said, it is worth the price, because you can't get these outside of Maine (you could, but they would taste way worse). The lobster rolls here are as good as the lobster rolls anywhere -- succulent, gigantic amounts of meat from the body, tail and claws on a grilled roll with butter -- my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

4. The seating area is perfect. There are plenty of tables, it's spread out, and you have a great view of the water.

5. Bathrooms are located just off the pier. Again, for those traveling, this is an important consideration.

Bottom line, Sprague's isn't as well known as the place across the way, and that's fine by me. The lobster is the same, prepared the same way, caught in the same area, and hits your belly way faster!!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Very good lobster and corn on the cob. You placed your order and they wrote the order on a paper, clipped it to a make shift pulls system and manually sent it to the hut next store to order up your meal. Food was good and we even splurged for an ice cream afterwards.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

If you are contemplating skipping the line at Red's Eats and crossing the street thinking you are going to get the same quality/quantity... you are very WRONG. We didn't want to wait in the big line so we opted to give Sprague's a try. We figured we had to compare them. It was good, but NOTHING in comparison to Red's. After traveling 4 plus hours to get to Wiscasset, we left feeling very disappointed and wished we had gone with our initial plan to wait it out at Red's.