“Splurge on Oceanfront Room”
Review of Stones Throw

Stones Throw
Ranked #7 of 23 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in mid-September when the crowds were relatively low. We stayed in the main building (with the restaurant) in an oceanfront room. While we did splurge on this amenity, the views and the amount of time spent on the balcony more than made up for it. The beach is right across the street and is ideal for daily walks. The hotel staff were all very friendly and our room had been recently updated and was very clean and comfortable. I loved that our room had a mini fridge with the half and half capsules (for coffee) stored in the fridge! Our room was on the second floor (so right above the restaurant) but the restaurant/bar was in off-season mode, so it closed relatively early. I could imagine in the peak summer season the room may not be as tranquil with Long Sands Beach traffic and a bustling restaurant, but then again, it's a prime location for people-watching. Overall, a great stay and we would certainly return!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
StonesThrowCrew, Front Office Manager at Stones Throw, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for the feedback, we're so happy you enjoyed your stay! Our hotel is certainly right in the thick of things. What's not to love about being steps from Long Sands Beach.
If you are looking for a more secluded, quiet environment, try our sister location, The ViewPoint Hotel.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Small clean rooms, small tvs, but right across the street from the beach. Decent restaurant and bar. Nice general store next door. Nice polite staff. Kurig coffee pot in the rooms. Rooms seem to be redone recently.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Stone's Throw last week for a few days on a solo trip. It was perfect. When I booked the hotel, I did not realize how close the beach actually is- literally steps! I could hear the waves from my room. I loved that! It was also great for easy on/off access, especially if you may have forgotten something or wanted to get something to eat. You are allowed one parking space(Some are located underneath the building. I was driving a small SUV, so I didn't even try to fit under there).
The hotel itself is very simple, but has charm. I stayed in a room where the office building is(I wish I splurged for an ocean front room because I was jealous of those people! Next time!) It was very nice- I liked the sea/nautical theme. There was a TV, refrigerator, keurig machine, ice bucket, and a window AC unit(You will need this. My room got hot during the night and the window only opens 1/4 of the way). I was kind of sad that there wasn't a microwave. They have slabs of tall wood pieces for night stands, which is a nice decoration, but does not fit much. I could just fit my glasses, water bottle, and phone on there. The beds are memory foam and super comfortable. I would recommend staying on the second floor. I could hear every movement above me(the AC helped drown them out). There were also chairs outside each room and a patio on each floor in front of the building. It was really beautiful to sit and watch the sun go down.

My only real complaints are that:
1)Staff leaves around 8PM and no one is on duty again until around 9 or 10AM. That made me feel a little uneasy. There is an emergency contact number posted at the office if needed. I guess that provides a little comfort.
2)Also, there aren't any phones in the rooms. I know we live a smart phone age, but for someone who was traveling solo, it would have been nice to have a backup in case my phone failed me.
3)The connected restaurant was on a fall schedule! I wish it stated that somewhere. I was really looking forward to trying it. They were opening for dinner on my last day. I left that morning. :(

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and would love to return. York Beach is a beautiful place and I am glad to have discovered it.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2017

I'm from Texas and live in the Boston area now. Someone recommended a weekend trip to York, Maine, so we decided to check it out. I ended up booking us at Stone's Throw with an oceanfront room for the July 4th weekend, which is also near my birthday. Had a great time, the restaurant had very good food and drinks, loved the view, and we liked it so much we decided to go back on Labor Day weekend!

You are indeed paying a premium for the location and if you choose to go with the waterfront room. It was totally worth it for me and my husband. Sip a glass of wine on the oceanfront patio at sunset and then the same for your coffee in the morning!

We sat outside at the restaurant downstairs for brunch on a gorgeous sunny day with ocean waves barely 100 yards away. It just doesn't get much better than that! Parking being included is also great. We really enjoyed everything we tried at the restaurant.

Comfy bed, a small Keurig coffee machine in the room (just give it time to heat up once you press "brew"), refrigerator AND freezer + ice bucket, and a good selection of TV channels if you just want to lounge in the room with the patio door open and listen to the waves. Or just walk 10 seconds across the street and go for a walk on the beach!

If you've got room in your budget to splurge on staying oceanfront at Stone's Throw, do it, and let the sound of the waves wash your stress away. I'd gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a waterfront room. It is so worth it. Beautiful views!