“Delicious food in a delightful atmosphere”
Review of Shearwater

Shearwater
Reserve with OpenTable
Shearwater is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Quick summary: American-focused menu of small plates, mains, sandwiches, individual pizzas, with some creative flair here and there. Moderate prices for a Maine resort. Friendly, professional service. This is the restaurant at the Stage Neck Inn.

We stopped by a couple of times when visiting family in the area. Whether you dine in the Shearwater dining room area of the adjacent bar, you can get a great meal in a seaside atmosphere.

During out dining, we had a range of the menu, from the panko-crusted haddock to the lobster roll to the mussels. All except for one stumble (noted below, and unusual in all the years we've been going here) was delish -- fresh tasting, expertly prepared. The small plates and sharing plates include hot (crabcake; mussels; pork shank; etc.) and cold (e.g. oysters; ahi tuna with ginger; shrimp) in the $10 - $14 range. Mains are mostly in the mid-$20's to low $30's range, and includes accompanying veges and starch.

A delish lobster is $38, whether you crack it yourself of get the lazy-man's lobster, i.e. the kitchen cracks it for you, which can be a great help for many diners. Surf & turf is the most expensive item on the menu at $40, which includes a delish filet mignon.

You can come here at any time of day as it is the full-service restaurant, i.e. breakfast, lunch, interim, and dinner.

One night we stopped in, and the place was pretty crowded, so we ate at the bar. Same menu; nice ambiance.

Oh, yes - -nice wine list and by-the-glass. Full bar with intriguing cocktails.

Friendly, professional service. There is a gem of a pianist some nights who plays the standards and interpretations of newer stuff. Check his nights, and I don't know if he plays year round.

Okay, the one clunker: the seafood risotto. Priced the same as the lobster dinner, it was a real disappointment - a big puddle of not-great risotto and a few small pieces of assorted seafood. The seafood-risotto proportions were really out of balance, especially for the price of comparable items on the menu. If this was my first time at this restaurant, I might not have returned. But frankly, everyone else's dinner was great, and it was possibly the only time I was every disappointed. So, this is my comment as a footnote, and I notice that the seafood risotto is no longer on the menu.

So: I'll definitely be back, and order what everyone else is having.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We went to this restaurant for a special occasion and it was just that, special. We had a lovely table by the window and the server was very good, engaging and efficient and made the evening that much more pleasant.

It is a hotel restaurant so there is a variety of items on the menu from more light meals to full meals but the food and the presentation we had felt more like a good restaurant.

It was pricey so would not go on a regular basis but will be back if we visit this area again.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Had 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts and 1 lunch here. All were delicious and prepared as requested. The breakfast buffet is not to be missed.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I had most of my meals at Shearwater. Breakfast buffet was included in the cost of my room so I did begin each day with sampling their offerings. Mo was the server I had each day and she was wonderful! Such a warm soul and a great person to start your day with. The options were plenty and the homemade donuts were fun.

One day for lunch I had the fish sandwich was very good. Lightly battered fresh haddock and fries. Nice thick steak fries that hit the spot - especially when dipped in their tartar sauce.

The best meal I had was the Surf & Turf for dinner on my last night in town. It was amazing! The filet was the perfect size and melted in my mouth. The lobster tail as cooked to perfection. Both were served on a bed of silky smooth mashed potatoes that were full of flavor. I finished the night with the Creme Brulee which was lighter than air. Perfect ending for a great night.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

First time since the renovation we had the opportunity to return.Limited tables with good viewing access and could have been placed more appropriately. We were early hoping to have a drink outside, but there was a wedding party and guests that occupied the lawn.
Server was attentive and knowledgeable. Lamb chops were excellent, chippino full of seafood, haddock just slightly overdone.
There was a child that was allowed to run in and out of the curtains screaming at the top of his lungs to the amusement of his parents and grandmother. Manager should have taken control of this not funny situation and have spoken to the parents. One other couple said on leaving, "I've been planning this anniversary meal for over a month, and this child ruined it for us"

1  Thank Darleen C