“Nice place to try”
Review of Rod 'N' Reel

Rod 'N' Reel
Reserve with OpenTable
Rod 'N' Reel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: MD Rt. 261
Reviewed 12 May 2015

My wife, daughter and grandchild stopped here because it was on the Bay. Wanted to have a view of the water as this was our first time to the area. I found the hostess to be somewhat blasé, but we were seated promptly. They were not overly busy, which is price is it not? It is a rich and creamy finished with a touch of sherry and topped with crabmeat. It was very good, as was the bread that was brought to begin our meal. Our granddaughter had a K-Grilled Cheese for $6.99 with fries as a side. I ordered a Seafood Norfolk for $28.99. This consists of Gulf Shrimp, Jumbo lump Crabmeat and Seared Scallops seared in a garlic herb butter wine sauce served with red skin potatoes and vegetables. There was a pasta night with for $20.99 but do not recall what that entailed, sorry. We also ordered a Shrimp Salad Wrap for $14.99. this was a wrap Gulf Shrimp, with celery, red peppers, and a dill dressing wrapped in a Sun dried tomato tortilla. I had a cannoli for dessert which seemed pretty dry for my taste. Elizabeth was our server and I thought she could have been more interested in our table and whether or night we had enough water and were enjoying the meal. Nor was she to be found when it was time to check out. But the restaurant was a bit understaffed and as most were young people working there, they still have a lot to learn about customer service. All in all it was a bit spendy for quality and service but the ambiance was good.

Reviewed 7 May 2015

We specifically choose this restaurant because of excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. I ordered the cream crab soup as others had raved about it. It had nice pieces of crab on a crouton (too big to fit on my spoon) floating in the soup. I was not impressed. It was a bit salty. I ordered the crab balls because of the good reviews. I could see lump crab pieces, but there was so much pepper I couldn't really get the crab flavor. It was a lovely setting with view of the Bay from the windows. Server was very nice, but service was a bit slow. They did have William Hill Chardonnay which held me through the boredom of the food.

Lorin J, Marketing at Rod 'N' Reel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience dining with us. We apologize that the flavors of the cream of crab soup and crab balls were not to your liking, but are happy to hear you enjoyed the view and wine. We appreciate all guest feedback and with share your comments with our chef and restaurant staff.

Reviewed 5 May 2015

As locals we rarely visit the Rod 'N' Reel but we wanted to dine at a waterfront eatery because we had guests visiting. The parking lot is always full due to the slot machines above the restaurant. You may consider taking advantage of the valet parking. We had a large group (12) and the only way they could accommodate us was by seating us at two, side-by-side, round tables. The server was friendly although I wish she would have cleared the dishes from the crowded table. The cream of crab soup was fairly good. It was a bit thick for my taste- it almost seemed like they had the creamy base ready and dropped a few lumps of crab in the soup and topped it with Old Bay. I ordered the crab balls and although there were only 3 they each had huge lumps of crab and very little breading. It took quite awhile for the food to arrive. (We were initially seated at 2 p.m. on a Sunday.) I would recommend calling ahead for reservations. The phone number listed online does not go directly to the restaurant and I had to call back twice to get through to the hostess. Expect to pay between $10-$20 for a sandwich and around $30 for an entree. Plan extra time to walk the pier and check out the incredible view!

We appreciate you sharing your comments with us and are glad to hear you enjoyed the view as well as the crab balls. We apologize that the service did not meet your expectations and also for the long wait and split tables. Reservations are recommend for larger parties especially on weekends. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 May 2015

Excellent food and staff. Very friendly staff and convenient to the hotel.
Couldn't ask for more.......................................................

Reviewed 28 April 2015 via mobile

For $21, we each ordered the Count Oysters. The meal was to be served with fries and cole slaw, and cheese and crackers. Even though she said she would bring them, we were never served the cheese and crackers. We also were not given any cole slaw. There were only 6 to 7 oysters, heavily breaded, and a small handful, maybe 10 fries. Overpriced already and then didn't receive all of our food. For the price, bread and salad should be provided. This is a $10 meal in value at most. Heavily over priced. Very disappointed as this was a birthday meal and we traveled over 2 hours to visit the area.

1  Thank Amy S
Lorin J, Marketing at Rod 'N' Reel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2015

We apologize for the unsatisfactory experience you had when dining with us regarding both the service and meal. All of our guests should be served cheese and crackers before their meals as well as receive the correct sides in a generous portion. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as we value all feedback and use it to improve our business. We will share these comments with our chef, management and staff to ensure this does not happen again. Again, we apologize for the negative experience and thank you for providing us with feedback about your visit.