“Where locals rub elbows”
Review of Blue Bird Tavern

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Blue Bird Tavern
Ranked #16 of 51 Restaurants in Chestertown
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 9 November 2016

The Bird has been a meeting place for locals to grab a bite an d or a drink. It has the only two pool tables in town.
during the day it serves sandwiches, salads, and home made soups. The Crab soup and Navy bean being particularly good.
Prices for everything are very reasonable, cash only, and checks if your a regular.
Local bar atmosphere where all types of people mingle to enjoy the food, watch the O's or relive the Shoremen' latest Lax game. No children allowed.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

We asked at the hotel for a good place to get and afternoon drink...the new desk clerk sent us here. It's a local Bar and grill. Clean and friendly but showing its age some. We had good drinks at a fair price. The bar food we show go by looked pretty good, though we were going elsewhere for dinner.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

I have always enjoyed the food here. Never had a bad meal!! Service is usually very good - depends on which day/night you go.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

I go here every Tuesday night after our county commissioner meeting. And I always have my usual... a Jameson on the rocks and a turkey club. Trish, the barkeep, has my drink poured as soon as I go in... or is waiting for me at our table if a friend beats me there. And Emma starts fixing my sandwich as soon as she hears me come in the door. It's better than a Cheers experience.

Where does Emma's special come in? I had a turkey club in Terlingua, TX that had a fried egg on it. I asked Emma to try my sandwich with the fried egg on it... and she did. And there was the same problem here as there was in Texas... the sandwich tasted great, but it was cumbersome to eat and lots of the filling squeezed out the back and sides. So... Emma made a slight modification... she took out the middle slice of bread and Voila! Emma's Special turkey club... as good a sandwich as you can get anywhere... and you'll never beat the price anywhere.

Alas, Emma is expecting and will be taking a leave of absence soon, so I'm looking at alternative sandwich's during her absence. Trish recommended the pulled pork grilled cheese. Eureka! It may be even better than the turkey club. It comes on wheat bread with mayo and cheese on both sides sandwiching a thin layer of sweet, tender pulled pork, then grilled. OK the next step is to add the fried egg... for an Emma's Special II. Can't wait till next Tuesday.

The Bird is a local hangout... from retirees to workers to Washington College students when they're in session. The food is very good... and the prices are the best in town. Plus... the service is very personal... even if its your first time there. And it's a great place to learn about what's happening in Chestertown. Just ask anyone there... and you'll make an immediate friend.

1  Thank Hokie67
Reviewed 26 July 2016

This is the best of the local real people stops. I love the atmosphere and readiness to get to know you. Food is simple, local, and excellent, with prices to match.

1  Thank moseman73