“No Christmas Spirit”

Breakout Games - Baltimore (Columbia)
Ranked #1 of 11 Fun & Games in Columbia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This isn’t your average outing or everyday experience—Breakout is for those who would rather solve mysteries than watch someone else have all the fun. With different rooms that follow unique story-lines, you and your friends will have 60 minutes to escape your adventure of choice by cracking codes, solving puzzles and following clues. Part problem solving, part adrenaline, end-to-end fun!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 9 January 2018

On Christmas day my family and I thought it would be fun to do an escape room the following day. I went on my phone and looked through Trip Advisor for an escape room in our area that was highly rated. We found Breakout Games. I opened their web page on my phone and chose Dec 26 for our day. I scrolled down to the room we wanted, selected it and proceeded to purchase 4 experiences for our family. I put my phone away and enjoyed the rest of Xmas with my family. At around 8pm I looked at my phone and saw that I had been called by Breakout Games. I listened to the voice mail and they were asking if we were showing up soon. I called them back and found out that somehow the web app had changed the date of the experience to the 25th instead of the 26th. I told them it was a mistake and that I know I had booked the 26th (knowing we were busy on the 25th with family). Since it was after the time I had booked the room I was told it would require a manager to approve moving the experience to the 26th and that they would call me in the morning. The next day I waited till after 9 and had not received a call. I then proceed to call them and had to reexplain what had happened the day before. We were available all day and could come whenever they had an opening. I was again told that their policy was not to move it since I had "missed" my experience and if I wanted to rebook I would have to pay again. They said they would continue to see if they could do anything but I never heard from them again. Their website says "satisfaction guaranteed" and will refund your money if you don't like the experience but I guess if you never get a chance to participate your money is gone. I was really surprised that they were not willing to help us move our event to the correct day that I had thought I had booked especially since it was Christmas. Not very customer friendly if you ask me.

Maggie B, Owner at Breakout Games - Baltimore (Columbia), responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Thank you for the review! The experience you describe is unacceptable. The fact that we caused a negative mark on your holiday is mortifying to us. We apologize and we will work to rectify this with you. We are looking into the situation now, and one of our management team will be reaching out to you soon to speak with you about the experience. We will be working with the team at the location to make sure this situation is fixed. If you have any additional details, or would like to speak with us further about the situation, please feel free to reach out to us at hospitality@breakoutgames.com We hope to hear from you, and hope we can earn the chance to have you back!

All reviews
"team building"
"first timers"
"a lot of fun"
in 6 reviews
"staff was very friendly"
in 3 reviews
"different theme"
"escape game"
"finding clues"
in 2 reviews
"can't wait to go again"
"minutes left"
"right direction"
in 2 reviews
"looking forward to going back"

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed this family outing with the family. Made a repeat visit for Father’s Day. Will probably plan another visit this year.

Maggie B, Owner at Breakout Games - Baltimore (Columbia), responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Thank you for the review! We're glad you and your family enjoyed your escape game experience with us! Thank you for letting us be part of your celebrations! We hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 10 November 2017

We brought our entire field hockey team of 40 kids for a team bonding activity. They were able to accomodate all of us at one time. It was fun and the kids really worked together to try to break out. I wish I would have known that it is important to ask questions to our guide along the way - we tried to do it all alone without help. The scenarios are too hard and complicated to solve without any help - just too many things to know where to start. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. I would do it again with friends and will probably have more fun now that I know what it is all about. There are 6 different scenarios, so you can do it 6 times and get a new experience each time.

Maggie B, Owner at Breakout Games - Baltimore (Columbia), responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Thank you for the review! We're glad you and your team enjoyed your escape game experiences with us! We hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Participated in a break out session as a team building for work. What fun! Clever puzzles and sets- we had a blast. I booked a "party" for a family activity when out of towers are here for the holidays.

Thank you for your review! We're glad you and your team enjoyed your escape game experience with us! We hope to see you back again soon!