“Can't miss seafood”

Ranked #3 of 67 Restaurants in Edgewater
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

We had awesome service as well as a great meal. Living in Atlanta we never get anything like this. Best crab cake ever. Awesome soft crab and rockfish. The salad bar was an added luxury compared to most restaurants.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We are spending a couple of days in Annapolis Maryland housing-hunting. Yesterday evening (Saturday 7.23) we stopped in an Edgewater neighborhood (where one of houses was located) to ask questions of a local resident about the neighborhood and he suggested Edgewater Restaurant. He said it had absolutely the best crab cakes in the area. So, off we went.

We arrived at the restaurant about 8pm. It was a little confusing as the door you enter is in the bar. There was no sign to suggest we should seat ourselves but no one to direct us as well. We stood in the entryway for a couple of minutes. There was a couple seated nearby - but not at a table. ?were they waiting for a table? We were not sure.

Someone finally came over to us to ask how many and a name. No more. No direction about what to do - she just walked away. After a couple of minutes we decided to take chairs near the other couple. Eventually, they were called to a table - and not too long afterwards, so were we.

We were not long seated before someone took our drink order and gave us menus. I noted from the menu that the restaurant is a family owned restaurant and was established in 1948...so it has been around for a long time.

The restaurant is dimly lit (plenty of light to see your food, but not bright) and has no windows (as was pointed out by the person who sent us there). The menu has plenty of variety of seafood and American food - including what appear to be regional favorites. But, we were there for the crab cakes - because they have the Best.

The waiter - who appeared to be the owner - took our order. We said we were told he had the best crab cakes. He said, "Oh, yes the lump." You can order two - and you'll take one home. Or, you can just order one." Since we were staying in a hotel and take-home was impractical, we each ordered the one - along with the salad bar and the baked potato.

The salad bar had ample selection. The blue cheese dressing had huge chunks of cheese in it....so much so that I opted for the house Italian (delicious). Hubby always has the 1000 island. We were almost through with our salads when the bowl of cheese spread was brought to us....and before our meal was brought to us, we were also given a plate with two large rolls (looked like pumpernickel). I finished my salad - but if I'd known what was to come, I would not have.

Service was a little slow. It seemed overall as if they may have been short-staffed. But we struck up a conversation with folks at the table next to us....and kept ourselves entertained. Also, the waitress was pleasant to talk with.

Dinner came. I have never ever seen crab cakes like this before. In the Carolinas, are crab cakes are flat, round, and have about as much filler as crab (often more filler and just a flavor of crab.). However, these crab cakes were made with Large lumps of crab meat, almost NO filler, and they were about the size of a baseball. They were huge!! The baked potato was almost as big. At this point, I am wishing I had skipped the salad....and not eaten the 2 crackers with cheese spread. This crab cake was seasoned differently than our Carolina crab cakes, but it as so good. Hubby ate it all ....but I was only able to eat about half of the crab cake and a bite or two of the potato.....and wishing I could take the rest home. So good. (I asked and was told these crab cakes are prepared on-site and to order.)

We were in the restaurant almost 1 1/2 hours. Service seemed a little slow. But the staff was so accommodating. The folks at the table next to us asked for all kinds of extra service, condiments, etc. They offered everything with a smile....and their body language reflected that pleasure.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone -- and if you like crab cakes, you can't go wrong with these. Just bring a big appetite!

Reviewed 21 July 2016

Backfin lump crabcakes can't be beat. No filler, just deciousness. They also have fried shrimp (yummmm) and fried chicken (which is an added bonus!) They do have a minimal salad bar and sure, the wait staff is a little snappish, but hey, it's part of the atmosphere. Bottom line, it's not a cheap meal, but you will leave full of seafood (or fried chicken) goodness!

Reviewed 14 July 2016

Nice place to visit, but not during evening or weekends or while they are closed. Selection is fair, salad bar is poor, service is marginal, crab cakes are expensive but worth the other distractions !

Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

Best crabcakes around. Alot of crabmeat and not much filler. They taste amazing and are priced well. Check hours because restarant is closed Mondays and Tuesdays, but we didn't realize until we tried to visit the 1st time.