“Excellent Jalea dish plus some more!”
Review of El Carbonazo

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Carbonazo
Ranked #207 of 360 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 18 October 2016

My companion and I had dinner at this restaurant on October 17, 2018. Next to it are 3 more restaurants. Not knowing about these restaurants, we randomly decided to try this restaurant.

We ordered "Jalea" as our appetizer, composed of fried calamari, fish, shrimps, mussels and french fries. The serving was huge, a big platter of Jalea dish. We're already full when the entrees we ordered were served to us: Tallarines Verdes with steak and Escabeche de Pescado ( Fish Stew).

Our foods were very delicious and timely served. We took home most of our entrees and some leftover Jalea dish. Service was fine, ambience was ok with big picture of Machu Pichu on the wall. There are more than 10 tables for seating. It seemed there is Kareoke at this restaurant based on the musical equipment we saw.

Total cost of our foods and drinks is $51.91 plus tip. We're definitely going back to this restaurant to try their other dishes. Note that most dishes are made of chicken, but there are other dishes made of sea foods and other types of meats. .

Reviewed 22 December 2015

I usually like the taste of the charbroil chicken, yellow sauce, and rice. However, I usually order to go because the restaurant itself is not the most inviting or friendly. I don't think the employees have been trained to speak or serve customers properly.

Reviewed 16 November 2014 via mobile

Ok so it's a mural but looks like you are looking right at the ruins. Food was excellent; I recommend the Milanesa. The yucca and plantain was done just right. Friendly wait staff.definitely will return for more!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The service was horrible. The server spent more time on her phone then at the table. The food was cold and dry. We used to love the food here but it has really gone downhill lately. Lots of drama with the manager and her ex husband (co owner) and new boyfriend (also a manager). The place is also not as clean as it used to be. We won't be back. It's sad because as Peruvians we try to support our businesses. Picca in Germantown will now be our new place.

1  Thank kayquipa
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have been eating at this restaurant once a week almost as long as I have been married to my Peruvian wife. I have always loved there food but on 2/9/2014 I went there with my wife, son, daughter and her friend. We ordered a tamale, 1/4 chicken, salchipapa, and Jalea. they weren't especially busy but it took a long time to get our food. They finally brought the chicken and salchipapa but the Tamale and Jalea were not brought out. My daughter and her friend were half done with there food when they finally brought my sons tamale but still no Jalea. After I asked about the Jalea they finally brought it over. It was cold and dry. I asked the waitress to come over and when I told her it was cold she asked me what I wanted her to do. I said take it back and bring me another. She told my wife in Spanish that she would ask the manager. Next thing you now we had the owner of the restaurant at our table telling my wife in Spanish that we always have problems with the food. Now in five years I have sent the food back 3 times because of various issues but I like there food so much I always came back. That will never happen again. For the owner to not respect their customer enough to not insult them is inexcusable. They are a terrible management and the food has gone down hill consistently in the past year. I will never bring my business there way again. She did not stop insulting me even as I was paying the bill to leave. Good luck if you choose to eat there.

1  Thank James S