“stick to the Sunday brunch”

Sakura Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 296 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Been in Hagerstown for over 8-9 years now, can't believe its not listed.
Reviewed 8 January 2017

I've eaten here several times, usually for the Sunday brunch. The brunch features sushi rolls and hibachi, and both have been excellent. But we went on a Wednesday evening, accepted table service because the hibachi tables were full, and found it disappointing. The hibachi steak and vegetables were good, as always, and the sushi rolls were pretty good, but the nigiri sushi (individual pieces of fish on rice) was not tender, not all that tasty, and just generally mediocre. Considering the risks of eating raw seafood, I want it to be really, good, not just passable. The soup was luke warm. Service was OK but not great. I don't expect I'll be back other than for the Sunday brunch.

Reviewed 30 December 2016

We have been here countless times for Sunday brunch and it was always excellent. This time for dinner was disappointing.
We ordered a Hibachi steak dinner and a sushi platter. The Miso soup wasn't very warm. The fish in the sushi dinner entree was substandard. Not soft, and discolored. This is a huge mistake on the part of a very unique and usually excellent restaurant.

Within 12 hours I was ill. It's been over 36 hours and my intestines are still suffering. Unfortunately I won't be back to Sakura. I won't take the chance again.

Reviewed 13 December 2016

I've ordered take out sushi from this restaurant on multiple occasions. It's always delicious and there's always plenty of it. I will say, the service while dining in, isn't much to be excited about. The service was very slow, their beverage list as far as soda's has about 8 different types of soda on it, however, every one my daughter asked for they said they didn't have, so she settled with water as she was tired of waiting. I will continue to order takeout, however, I doubt i'll be dining in too often.

Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

Went here for Sunday dinner with friends celebrating a birthday. We dined at the hibachi grill. Service was prompt and clean. We ordered a alaskan roll & spicy tuna roll for appetizers. Sushi was fresh, standard and safe. Hibachi chef was talented and fun and gave us the standard show of fire and flying spatulas. This is a safe bet if you want basic hibachi food served in a fun social style setting. Tables and a bar are also seating options. Nothing revolutionary but they do standard hibachi well and at a good price.

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

The service was slow and there was no one in the restaurant. We waited too long get water and our order taken. The attention to customer was mediocre. There was an employee sleeping two tables over against the wall.

The place was not as clean as I am use too. The cooking top looked greasy and so did our plates and courtesy cups provided by beer and advertisers.

My family and I love hibachi but we're going to have to find another place in Hagerstown the next time we come shopping.

The food was ok...no special or different. I had some sushi and it too was ok...it seemed a little luke warm. Just not a fan of this place.