“Reopened after a renovation. Same owner, same good food”

Gourmet Shish Kebab
Ranked #72 of 197 Restaurants in Laurel
Reviewed 17 July 2016

Gourmet Shish Kebab closed for a while to undergo some much needed renovation. We returned this evening and was told it had reopened in late 2015. The restaurant was painted, has new tables and chairs, new lighting, remodeled restrooms, and an expanded menu. Most people seem to use it for carry-out meals. The owner is the same and the food is just as good. I had the beef kebab and my wife the lamb kebab. The expanded menu now includes some Indian/Pakistani dishes. There was a sign saying the restaurant is closed on Mondays. Now that it's open again, we'll be returning on a regular basis.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

Good food in big servings. My wife and I usually split the combo platter. The place is clean and recently refurbished. It had been closed for some time for renovation.
A wide variety of foods from Greece to the west to India on the east. There is a Mango drink from the Emirates that is thick and delicious.
Good for both take-away and dine in. Never been crowded.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Got a chicken kebab. Spices are different from middle eastern flavors. Small amount of chicken for price tag. No sauces for dipping. One quarter of a small tomato barely grilled and another quarter of an onion. The bread provided was huge though....thick like a small pizza pie which was not really what I expected from getting kebabs from other places. Not impressed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Gourmet Shish Kebab has been around for a very long time and I have been eating there since before the change in ownership. They have the best middle eastern cuisine in the area without the fancy accoutrements. It's basically very good food served in a very simple setting with few high quality kebab choices at extremely reasonable prices. Try the Spicy Kofta Kebab Platter (ground beef on a skewer) with two sides, tasty Hummus and Indian Eggplant tomato curry. I usually get it with the Soft (you have to specify because some people like their bread crispy) tandoori Naan and a bottle of water. I've also had the chicken kebab and lamb kebab. Both are prepared well. It's not easy to cook shish (lamb) kebab, but these guys got it right. I wouldn't classify this restaurant as Indian, Middle Eastern, or Pakistani. It seems to be a blend of all three and then some. The food is not over spiced and they keep it simple.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I like to check out Trip Advisor posts ahead of time when my husband decides on a restaurant, and then order the dishes that are mentioned most as being good.
Several said their Naan bread was the best they had. That was true, it was the best we have had, and we have eaten at quite a few Indian Restaurants. The man there said they use no yeast, no add ons that affect quality. It is baked about 18 hours, so it rises that way. Do try it. One is like three size wise. The Naan bread came with a small container of Tzatkiki sauce which was good.

Their sweet flavored Yogurt mango drink was delicious!
The samosa and spinach were a little too highly spiced for me, but if you like your food spicy it might work well for you.

We both ordered the Lamb Kebab platter with rice. I had mine with salad, and chickpeas. The little salad side was average but fresh, the chickpea side good. My husband said he liked their cabbage and Samosa. Excellent, and enough to take home for another meal with the Kebab. While the lamb was not the most tender we ever had, the flavor was delicious and tasted like it had been Barbequed. I would order it again. My husband said he liked their rice, I thought it closer to average for what I like, but still good
Their Baklava was delicious! I will get it again next time to take home.
A few had commented that the inside looked like it needed to be renovated, and one that they did not want to eat inside. This is a "Mom and Pop" type place, and we find those appealing opposed to chains. If you want fancy decor and that is important to you, then go elsewhere or order out. It looked freshly painted, was not dirty or small, but had plenty of room and the booth was comfortable.
The man was very professionally friendly and knowledgeable. Food was ready in a very reasonable amount of time. We will definitely be back.