“Excellent”

Gourmet Shish Kebab
Ranked #45 of 208 Restaurants in Laurel
Reviewed 18 January 2017

I had stopped here once before the renovation but because it was not the closest Indian/Pakistani restaurant to home, I did not return until last week. My loss.

My son and I found the food to be superb. We are both vegetarians and found plenty of potions. The falafel was superb, some of the best I've had. The chickpeas -- very good that came with a large serving of rice. I happen to really like grape leaves and found the serving of six for $3.50 a tasteful bargain. It was interesting to try a slightly different version of "Samosa Chaat." (Another restaurant I've been too calls it "Chaat Samosa.") I preferred Gourmet's version. It isn't overpowered by onions and so instead, the onions provide a note of sweetness to balance against the slight heat. The only minor distraction was the Tabullah. I don't think I'll be ordering it next time. And, oh yes, there will be a next time and many more!
Just one further note, my rating here reflects taste and value and not ambiance. I don't expect my authentic ethnic restaurants to be appointed as a Michelin Reviewed 5 star. Instead I look for flavor, value and friendly owners/staff and Gourmet has these in abundance.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

Gourmet Shish Kebab closed for a while to undergo some much needed renovation. We returned this evening and was told it had reopened in late 2015. The restaurant was painted, has new tables and chairs, new lighting, remodeled restrooms, and an expanded menu. Most people seem to use it for carry-out meals. The owner is the same and the food is just as good. I had the beef kebab and my wife the lamb kebab. The expanded menu now includes some Indian/Pakistani dishes. There was a sign saying the restaurant is closed on Mondays. Now that it's open again, we'll be returning on a regular basis.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

Good food in big servings. My wife and I usually split the combo platter. The place is clean and recently refurbished. It had been closed for some time for renovation.
A wide variety of foods from Greece to the west to India on the east. There is a Mango drink from the Emirates that is thick and delicious.
Good for both take-away and dine in. Never been crowded.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Got a chicken kebab. Spices are different from middle eastern flavors. Small amount of chicken for price tag. No sauces for dipping. One quarter of a small tomato barely grilled and another quarter of an onion. The bread provided was huge though....thick like a small pizza pie which was not really what I expected from getting kebabs from other places. Not impressed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Gourmet Shish Kebab has been around for a very long time and I have been eating there since before the change in ownership. They have the best middle eastern cuisine in the area without the fancy accoutrements. It's basically very good food served in a very simple setting with few high quality kebab choices at extremely reasonable prices. Try the Spicy Kofta Kebab Platter (ground beef on a skewer) with two sides, tasty Hummus and Indian Eggplant tomato curry. I usually get it with the Soft (you have to specify because some people like their bread crispy) tandoori Naan and a bottle of water. I've also had the chicken kebab and lamb kebab. Both are prepared well. It's not easy to cook shish (lamb) kebab, but these guys got it right. I wouldn't classify this restaurant as Indian, Middle Eastern, or Pakistani. It seems to be a blend of all three and then some. The food is not over spiced and they keep it simple.

Been to Gourmet Shish Kebab? Share your experiences!