All reviews diving board waverly castle coconuts bar and grill the cottages beach service kids activities breakfast buffet beach bar great happy hour ocean front live entertainment first floor oceanfront efficiency ceiling fan full kitchen convention center beach access
Reviewed 23 August 2012

One of the other reviews warned "don't be fooled by the pictures". They are right, CITS is not as nice as the pictures make it look, but while no one would consider it 'upscale', it is clean, the facilities are new enough (not run down), it's reasonably roomy, and it is a tremendous value for the money. Families especially will enjoy it. The extra bit: the staff were so friendly and helpful it raises everything up a notch. They were so friendly I kept upping the tip to the cleaning staff. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, the pool is big and clean, the outside bar/restaurant/lounge looks nice, and they even have beach waitress service.
Two warnings: (1) Internet service varied from non-existent to poor to almost adequate. I called several times, they tried things, but no consistent improvement. This is the only reason I don't give it a "5". (2) They have several buildings; I was only in the "Waverly", your mileage may vary.

Room Tip: A couple of little cottages are surrounded by parking lot and road - they didn't seem very desirable to me. The Coconuts lounge may be loud if you are in the South building facing the beach.
2  Thank tbontb
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Have been staying at the Castle in the Sand for over 10 years. We keep coming back mostly because of the kids activities hosted by Lady Sunshine and Lady J. They have taught all four of my kids how to juggle and they still do it today thanks to them! Face painting is the favorite for my younger ones. They can't wait each year to come back to see them. We usually stay in the bayside penthouse rooms, no view, but a decent room for the price. They have many other style of rooms available. The location is a few blocks from the start of the bordwalk, so you can walk along the street then hit the boardwalk.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Location was great right on beach. Great for families as the kids activities fun and pool has diving board. The outdoor bar and restaurant was cool but our food was awful. Bathroom was dirty when we arrived called front desk they sent someone straight away. Had to call again few minuteslater as my husband hurt his foot on carpet tack as the carpet strip was missing. We had a condo it smelled musty.we had to move to hotel room it was nicer as we stayed extra night .it needs a total make over . But it is great because it's on beach away from boardwalk which is good.waitress service on beach is nice touch too. Don't have high expectations and you will be happy with this place. The staff were very nice too and lady sunshine who runs kids club is very good.

1  Thank Jacko7676
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have been coming to Castle in the Sand for 30 years...and for good reason! They are always so accommodating! Also, they have the most beautiful view of the ocean in Ocean City! It's so close too. I love the pool, so large. Although I love the bar at Coconuts, I do feel as though there food portions could be larger.The rooms feel like home. I have gotten the exact same room for so many years so that my family and I can enjoy our home away from home. Very convenient that there is a kitchen and 3 beds. Overall, I truly love this place!

2  Thank claus56
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We just stayed at the Castle in the Sand during a recent visit to OC. First, they hosted an amazing surfing camp for children with autism that is organized by the Surfer's Healing group so there was a very special tone in the hotel in general during our visit. The rooms are certainly older and worn, but the cleaning staff was busy and cleaned the room early each day. They have a great beach and a very large pool. The activities area/schedule they have for kids is incredibly unique and not something you would expect in Ocean City. During our visit, the woman organizing the activities did facepainting that was fantastic (elaborate and beautiful)! There were bubbles, picture frame decorating, games....all appropriate for the beach. (We had just returned from an upscale resort a few days prior where the "kids activities" in August included painting Halloween and Easter magnets?!?!) If you are traveling with children, that could be reason enough to stay here! The bar/volleyball area has a great feel. The 2-for-1 happy hour was certainly a plus! This is not typically the type of hotel we stay in when we travel, but I must admit that there is something very special about this place.

1  Thank MarylandTerps