“First Time Dining With Them...Will Definitely Go Again!”

Founders Tavern & Grille
Ranked #8 of 116 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Established in 2013 Local Business Owner/Chef Steve Sumner and his wife Janet wanted to offer a place local to our area that is a step above the rest. Janet designed the decor, and Steve is the executive chef, all the recipes are his own developed over years. Steve started in commercial baking and made fresh bread and desserts in Little Italy over 15 years ago. A place that offers great gathering space for friends and families, fine wine, craft beer and whiskey flights. All fresh, homemade sauces, dressings, desserts, nothing frozen, no freezer on premises, all fresh baked bread onsite. Local sourced, Good Ol' Fashion Comfort Food at it's best!
Reviewed 19 February 2018

We heard good things about this restaurant, and the reviews on TripAdvisor were good, so decided to try it on a Sunday afternoon around 1:30. They seated us (4 adults and a child high-chair age) within 10 minutes. They had several very large groups, so it was a bit loud, but the atmosphere was nice and casual and relaxed. They have a pretty nice menu, with a variety to choose from. The bison burger, spicy chicken sandwich, and the Brunch Waffle Burger were all good. The MD Crab Soup was also very tasty. Even though it looked like they only had two servers, our service was good. Definitely a nice restaurant, and we will try it again. I'm anxious to try other menu options.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

We used to come here for a good burger and beer, so when we read a nice review we wanted to try the place again--but what a DISAPPOINTMENT! To Founders credit, you can still get a good burger and beer here, but now my positive comments end! Founders touts their food is "always fresh-never frozen" which is inconsistent with our last experience: e.g. the bread served was as cold as the butter, the $10 "candied bacon (really? $10 for 5 limp pieces of sticky bacon?) was served COLD with congealed grease. We felt rushed--bread, salad, two appetizers were ALL served at exactly the same time and when we asked the waitress to "slow down" she brought out our entrees 3 minutes later. Not once were we offered a refill of our water glasses, and we observed that was the norm at all surrounding tables. We felt broadsided by an "up-charge" for salads which were menu-listed as an included "side" (nowhere did we see an "up-charge" posted nor were we advised so upon ordering!). My wife and I agree this is no longer our place for a relaxed, low-priced, good-quality meal. Sorry, we won't be back--particularly when there are over a 100 restaurants in the locale that do serve relaxed, low-priced, good quality food.

5  Thank 1000mL
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

This was the first visit to Founders Tavern & Grill for my wife and I, but our daughter and her family had been here before. There is a very nice mix of offering on the menu. The decor was pleasant with a hint of history on the walls. We were greeted right away and seated immediately. The service was friendly, prompt and knowledgeable. As others have said the Chicken & Waffle is a favorite. My wife said it was very good. Everyone else really enjoyed their dishes as well. Reasonably priced. I liked it!

Reviewed 11 February 2018

My girlfriend and I came here early on a Saturday evening (around 5:30pm). Everything from start to finish was great. The tavern/grill is casual and well-sized. The decor is a simple American motif (think "Founding Fathers"), The ample wait staff is both friendly and efficient.

We were drawn to this restaurant because it is a farm-to-table operation. The focus is on locally sourced fresh foods, not frozen, with no antibiotics and no nitrates, Microwaves are not used in the kitchen, only stove tops and ovens. The menu selection is fairly broad, ranging from salads, pizzas, and burgers, to Yankee pot roast, shrimp and grits, and chicken alfredo. There is enough to please every palette, but the focus tends more toward "comfort food." From what I could see and taste, everything is very well prepared in an unpretentious, wholesome way.

For my meal, I had one of their specials of the day - southwestern chicken breasts in a pepper cream sauce with black beans. The chicken was tender and delicious. More noteworthy, however, was the sauce. It was brothy and less creamy than you would normally find in American fare, and the spices were more subtle and not overwhelming. The broccoli that accompanied the dish was bright green and fresh as the day it was picked.

For dessert, my girlfriend and I shared a deep-dish apple crumb pie with some fresh, hot and steamy, organic coffee. What was most notable about the pie was that you could actually taste the freshness of the apples. This was not the sugar-jellied pie filling you normally get. Rather, it was fairly lightly sugared, allowing the apples to be the star of the dish. One important note: It took a while for us to receive our dessert. The reason is two-fold: 1) The pie was about 2 1/2 inches thick, so it took time to heat it. 2) No microwaves are used and ovens take much longer to heat food. Bear this in mind when you order your mail and be a little patient; it's worth it. Bottom Line: Go.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This is a great place for lunch. Their selection of soups and sandwiches would please any palate. Haven't been there for dinner but it is in my plans.

Been to Founders Tavern & Grille? Share your experiences!