“Wonderful Woodlawn Estate B&B”

The Woodlawn Historic B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Ridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Nestled in countryside with a picturesque setting and authentic architectural details preserved with just enough modern amenities is the Woodlawn Estate B&B. There are 2 vintage bedrooms with oversized and well appointed private bathrooms and multiple large rooms downstairs capable of hosting special events from weddings to large indoor/outdoor events.

The grounds overlook a pastoral setting of farmland, woods and an estuary with modest pier. There is a separate building used by Slack Winery for tastings and other special events with ample parking.

A visit is a trip back to 1800 with just enough modern touches to make for a memorable stay or special event. Just right!!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

My wife stayed in the main house for a Saturday night after a wedding. The grounds are beautiful but the house could use some work. The carpet on the stairs were worn, no blinds or heavy drapes to block out the outside lights, shower stall dirty, lights in bathroom not working properly we never received bathroom towels. Be careful at top of steps as there is not a railing or lights. Going to the bathroom off the guest room requires you to duck though a door way if over 5'10" and watch your step to the bathroom.
House had a musky smell. Breakfast consisted of store bought bagels and stale fruit. Not a do over for us.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2016 via mobile

I had bought a Living Social deal (2 nights for the price of 1) about 3 years ago to The Woodlawn Historic B&B.
For logistical reasons, my partner and I were not able to coordinate a date to go until just this week.
Mr. Grube was extremely patient with us over the years and we were finally able to get something on the calendar. He honored the original "deal" even though it was 3 years old. I am so glad, because the best things come to those who wait.
When we arrived, Mr. Grube (asked us to call him Jim) offered us a glass of wine, but neither of us drink wine. So, Jim offered us some delicious, small batch organic chocolate bars, which disappeared very quickly.
Jim showed us to The Sunflower Suite, which was perfect; spotlessly clean with lovely decor. Our suite had a porch with two Adirondack chairs and the most gorgeous view of Calvert Creek. The Woodlawn Inn is on a small peninsula and is surrounded by water. The Inn is located at the point where the Potomac meets the Chesapeake Bay and I can honestly say that view and grounds are majestic. We were in awe. To make things even more special, it turns out we were the only ones there! We had the entire farm to ourselves. My husband and I kept pinching ourselves because it felt like we were in a dream! There is a mowed walking path all around the huge property, perfect for strolling. The landscaping is incredible, with old, mature crepe myrtles and gigantic, ancient oak trees.
The Woodlawn Inn is famous as a wedding venue, and I can see why. It has everything.
The main house is incredible. Every detail is just beautiful and each nook and cranny has something interesting and historical to check out. The place is very old, and beautifully restored.. The property is huge--just look at it on Google maps. The long driveway through fields and fields of lush wheat to the main house and cottages takes forever.
I am from Maryland and have always been enamored with southern, watery part of my state, which is why I purchased the Living Social deal all those years ago. But it turned out to be one of the most magical overnight stays we've ever had.
We will go again and again, in the Spring, on a Tuesday and Wednesday to try to re-create the experience we had on this trip.
5 STARS for the Woodlawn Inn. Thanks, Jim!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2015

I take the time to write reviews, because I read them and use them to decide where to spend my travel time and dollars. It is for that reason, I am writing this review. I wish I could say nice things about this property, but I can’t. I love historical B&Bs and I have stayed in them all over the US and in many parts of Europe. I know what to expect. The Woodlawn was without a doubt way below standards.

I booked several months in advance to get the room we wanted and although it was off season, there was no discount, but I was willing to pay the full $210 per night to stay in the historic mansion. We booked a two night stay and paid one night in advance. The payment was charged to a winery, Slack Winery (if I had only known), I had never heard of and we never received a confirmation. At first I thought someone had used my credit card illegally. Finally I realized what the charge was for and had to call and ask for a confirmation.

When we arrived the evening of our reservation, we were met by the owner with a bottle of wine who directed us to an out building and told us he was moving us to another location because of HVAC problems. This was about 7:30 pm or so at night and it was getting dark in the back woods of the eastern shore of Maryland.

We went into a little suite of rooms in a low lying out building that had a musty/mildew smell to it. We looked around for a while. I was VERY unhappy. I had planned our vacation very meticulously and staying in a tacky fishing cabin was not what I had in mind, especially for $210/night. When I went in the bedroom, I hit the roof. The bed looked like it had not been remade from the previous guests and the floors did not look like they had been vacuumed.

My husband and I talked and we decided to tell the owner that we would stay in the main house without air conditioning. I didn’t want, nor did I feel it was healthy for me to stay in the “cabin” with the musty/mildew smell with my health condition. The owner flatly refused and wanted us to find other accommodations on Easter weekend at nearly 9:00 pm.

I suffer from epilepsy and the stress was about to bring on a seizure. Finally it was decided we could stay in a different part of the “cabin” that had a bed that had been made up and he would refund our money. That night I watched as insects crawled in and out of the unsealed french doors beside my bed. The next morning my husband went to the main house for continental breakfast which consisted of stale store bought pastries and fruit. He brought me back some. I had refused to go.

The grounds are beautiful and belie the neglect and carelessness that lie beneath. The B&B is the least paid attention to of a group of business interests of this family and it is obvious. If you hit them when you are on their radar screen, you may have a good experience. If you don’t, screw you. The “cabins” we stayed in had a door that had never been painted on the back, the décor can only be described as early attic, the light fixtures were rusting, the sinks had stains, etc. Despite the website clearly stating that they had TV and internet, all TVs had been removed some time before and the internet strength was abysmal.

As I said, I regret having to write this because I believe in patronizing historic B&Bs because I am helping to preserve them for future generations. Until this property is more professionally managed, it does not need to be opened to the public.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
12  Thank angsw72
Reviewed 3 January 2015

A group of 5-7 couples gets together each year to celebrate New Years Eve. We have been doing this for at least 15 years. This year we decided to go to Woodlawn Farm in Ridge MD. Woodlawn is an historic house on the Potomac River. There are views of the river everywhere and wonderful sunrises and sunsets. Woodlawn was built in 1796 approximately but the original house was a land grant from Charles Calvert to his nephew in the 1600s. The original house was pillaged by the British during the Revolutionary war. Woodlawn was built on its foot print and restored in 1990. St. Mary's County is rich in history and we learned so much right in our own back year. The inn keeper Jim Grube and his wife Maggie are so knowledgeable and delightful. They welcome us with open arms and gave our group the run of the place. Jim arranged for a chef to cook our New Years Eve dinner which was wonderful and we didn't have to drive. He recommended restaurants and was available to helped us in any way. We had a wine tasting the day we arrived. Slack Winery is located near by and is owned by Jim and his family. Wine tasting are available year round at Woodlawn. All in all it was one of the best New Years trips we have taken. We will be back in the spring to see all the flowers and enjoy the views from the rocking chairs on the lawn.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms in the main house. The Calvert Suite has the river view. Would recommend...