“Best Around I live here.”

East Pearl Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 471 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: A quick Google search turned up yelp and other sites about East Pearl, but there doesn't appear to be a dedicated website. Excellent food!
Reviewed 12 November 2017

Try the house special fish filet and the lemongrass beef. Then, honestly, anything that sounds good. The roast duck and roast pork are genuine and exquisite as long as you don’t mind fatty meats.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

varied menu, great food, cheap, quick. Parking is limited. Do not park in front of county liquor store. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Had a great simple lunch with friends we have not seen for yonks and tried out this Hong Kong food establishment. Having last eaten in a DC area Chinese Restaurant in 1980, my wife and I were over the moon that it has shed its "Chinis Lestolont" image with authentic well cooked Cantonese cuisine similar to what we could enjoy in Vancouver, Hong Kong, Singapore, San Francisco and Australia. As it was early (brunch vs lunch) we decided to order light to share: platter of 3 roasted meats, Tofu and Seafood Hotpot, Steamed Cod and Stirfried Chinese Greens. Although not having totally forgone dishes like the standard Moo Goo Gai Pan and General Tso's Chicken, the quality is definitely vastly improved and the menu is varied unlike the "brown sauce, white sauce and red sauce" Chop Suey, Lo mein, Chow mein, Subgum and Sweet Sour dishes of yore. It felt to me like this is a favourite if not the favourite neighbourhood haunt from the patronage of mainly Cantonese speaking HongKongese heritage who had great very friendly and cordial relations with the waitresses: they are the most demanding critics. I am glad we ate there and after great food, good service, with a full tummy we left to explore Washington DC.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

We had a family dinner - seven people - at East Pearl recently, our first visit there. East Pearl advertises that its food is Hong Kong style, and it IS authentic. I have eaten many times in Hong Kong and I must say that the menu choices and flavors are as good or better than anything I've had in Hong Kong, and definitely more delicious than any Chinese cuisine I've had in the U.S. We ordered appetizers (wontons) and six main entrees, mainly from the section of the menu labeled Chef's Specialities, and an order of shrimp fried rice. Among our favorites were the Lemon Grass Beef, a fish dish with sauce of mushrooms, slivered bamboo shoots and green onions, and a combination of deep fried shrimp, squid and scallops. We also enjoyed a vegetable dish of snow pea leaves sautéed in oil, and an order of deep-fried tofu. I personally started with a cup of hot and sour soup.

All seven of us agreed that every dish was extraordinary and the service was also great. My wife is allergic to garlic and my grandson-in-law is allergic to nuts, so we had to specify dishes with no garlic and nothing cooked in peanut oil. No problem! Our waitress was delightfully patient and helpful, and because it is rather difficult to decide which entrees to order for a group that large, she essentially selected the menu for us. I have read other reviews of East Pearl that were critical of the restaurant's customer service. After dining there I don't understand that criticism. We had a good experience with no exception, from making the reservation to the attention of the hostess and the courtesy and helpfulness of our waitress. It was a Friday night and was a good thing we had made a reservation because the restaurant was absolutely full, and most of the patrons looked to be Chinese - a good sign!

All in all, we will dine at East Pearl again at any opportunity when we're in the Rockville area. Our only disappointment was that the restaurant doesn't serve beer, which we usually enjoy with Chinese food, but the food was so delicious we didn't mind. I should add that the entire dinner for seven people, with not effort to be frugal was $120. How can you do better than that?

1  Thank gliddenr72
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Having dinner here with my family. Good food and good portions. Order the roast duck , beef chow fun and filet fish with XO sauce. These were delicious... Very pleased with the food. But the service are very bed :(