“Best Thai in Rockville”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2016

This is my favorite Thai restaurant in Rockville, and I believe one of the best in the DC area. There are lots of choices for Thai food in Rockville alone, plus Silver Spring, Bethesda, and plenty in Virginia. I have tried several, and keep returning to Benjarong.
The interior space is one of the nicest around. Comfortable, not too noisy, adequate space between tables. I like seeing the many families eating there, it's always a pleasant, happy atmosphere.
The main reason I keep returning is the food. I eat vegetarian primarily, and Benjarong has the largest assortment of vegetarian choices of just about any restaurant. The menu points out many dishes that they will make with tofu or otherwise vegetarian.
The food is just outstanding. One of my favorites is a spicy green bean that is dipped in batter and fried. Outstanding flavor and exactly the right spice mix.
Service is always good, and they have a complete bar.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Great food, Thai décor and courteous service combine to make this a fine dining experience. Try it, you'll like it.

Reviewed 29 February 2016

Good Thai food, and good service. The panang curry was very tasty but I might've used a bit more rice to drink up the remainder of the sauce. They did a good job adjusting heat levels and the pad thai was purportedly quite good. Two bits: the Mango sticky rice was reheated in a microwave so it lacked the moisture that makes a VERY good version, and I did hear the microwave open and close an awful lot... But the food was good, respectable, and reasonably priced, and the service friendly.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

We have visited Ben Jarong since 1995 when it was a very small place in the Wintergreen Mall. Several years later, they closed for almost a year and opened a larger place at the same mall. The last two years (in my opinion) has seen a steady decline in service, ambiance, and the quality of the food. They used to have cloth napkins and, sometime last year, switched to paper napkins. Number 48 on the online menu, a dish my wife orders every time, is a delicious fish filet, steamed in a clay pot - according to the menu. The last time we went, it came out in a small stainless container - clay has to be washed by hand, the steel container doesn't. The steel container was very lite weight and cooled quickly - the clay does not. Objectively, the staff seems smaller. Wait for mixed drinks has become considerably longer depending on who is working the bar.
The taste of the food is good but the last two or three times we've gone, the dishes were not hot and clearly sat for a while.
Nothing wrong with saving money BUT if the dining experience which had been excellent for over 15 years begins to deteriorate, someone needs to take a close look.

Reviewed 24 September 2015

I just got carry out from here again recently and despite some bad reviews on Google, I still find it a reliable choice for Thai take-out lunch. I love Tom Yum soup so I got that and small steamed rice. I asked for shrimp in my soup but I kinda felt jipped because I only got a few. They were good though and I loved the broth! Next time I will get it with chicken instead. I know I will return. Service is fine and my food is always ready when I come to pick it up. Big plus because I have no time to wait as my lunch break is short. This is a fine Thai place. I would pick it over the Tara Thai chain any day.