“I love the soup”

Taipei Cafe
Ranked #92 of 471 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Taiwanese
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

I went with my husband who is from Taipei and my sister. When we sat down the waitress thoughtfully brought us forks. When we ordered she let my sister know the shrimp in the Salt and Pepper Shrimp would have shells on. My sister explained she knew the head would be on the shrimp as well. I love the beef and green pepper soup here. This is a traditional restaurant. The staff was very friendly for a restaurant of this type. We were there in bad weather to avoid the weekend lunch crowd, even so the place was filling up as we left. I will go back.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Stephanie W

Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

I was treated to lunch by my brother in law who was born in Taipei. He cleaned every plate and told us stories of his childhood. He said that the food reminded him of the food in Taipei. He had the oyster pancake, stinky tofu and beef noodle soup. My sister had the beef and green pepper noodle soup. I had the salt and pepper shrimp. Everyone enjoyed their lunch. The shrimp comes deep fried with the head and shell. The waitress explained the dish to me. I have had it many times. The salt and pepper shrimp had the perfect crispness and spice.
For dessert we had shaved ice with m&m's, tarrow and boiled peanuts.
The staff was friendly and efficient but they did bring the bill before we could order dessert and that caused some confusion.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank gfosonj
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

Whether one wants to go back to the same restaurant again and again should probably be the criterion one uses to rate a food establishment. The lunch specials in this restaurant are certainly worth trying. Loved the spicy shrimp (note they leave the heads on, so it might bother certain diners) and the short ribs. Both dishes were just so in their spicing. Lunch comes with a soup. The hot and sour soup here is probably the best hot and sour soup in the Rockville area, otherwise now known as the New Chinatown in the metropolitan Washington region.

Service is extremely efficient. Don't expect the wait staff to talk to you, though. They want you to be as efficient as they are: know what you want and order it. They'll get it to you very quickly.

There were many Asian families dining here, always a good sign of a good Asian restaurant. It seems word has spread about the good food and the good prices here.

1  Thank margaretc007
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

We've been to this place many times. The quality of the food has been sliding down. The service is ok. Fried sticky tofu is the few items that we will ordered. There are plenty of room for party best to call ahead.

Reviewed 9 December 2016 via mobile

Only one or two of the many staff spoke English, and of the 20 or so customers when I was there, I was the only non-Chinese person present. So it was less of a surprise than it might otherwise have been to find that the food was quite different from the usual run of Chinese restaurants in the area. The dining areas (there are actually three distinct spaces under the same roof) were large, plain, comfortable and blessedly quiet. I got a chicken with ginger dish that was copious in quantity, tasty as hell, and moderate in price.

2  Thank jaseaton