“Neighborhood atmosphere”
Review of Chief's Bar

Chief's Bar
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 July 2018

This was my second time dining at Chief’s. What it lacks in ambience (being a seafood restaurant not on the water but so close to waterways), it makes up for in delicious food. I ordered a fried seafood platter and was rewarded with enough food to require a take home box. I ate the shrimp, soft crab and scallops and boxed up the crab cake and catfish fillet. The scallops were done to a turn - sweet and juicy. They would have satisfied me if they were all that I had gotten. The shrimp and soft crab were bonuses. The seafood was served with a tossed salad and old bay fries. I had the crabcake, which was well laden with crab and little filler, for another meal. The catfish for yet another.

Since it was my birthday, I ordered a piece of coconut cake. It was delicious. Though I was full, I ate every crumb of that slice. Yum!

My waitress was efficient, accurate, and pleasant. She had vocal exchanges with so many of the diners that it was obvious that this was a place that locals came to often. It may not be on the water, but it certainly serves great seafood.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

We went down to that corner of the county to check out the Drayden African American schoolhouse (another great find, but that's a different review). The schoolhouse was open over the lunch hours, so we decided to eat lunch in the area. A friend recommended Chief's, and it was a find. There's nothing fancy about the building or the bar/restaurant's decor, but everything is clean and pleasant. The A/C was definitely working. The food was plentiful and delicious, and our waiter was unerringly pleasant and attentive. I laughed when he suggested dessert because I was stuffed. The only thing I expected but didn't find was a view, but if that isn't an important aspect for you, I would pass along my friend's recommendation to you without hesitation.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 21 June 2018

This place is off-the-beaten-path, and frankly, doesn't look like much from the outside. And the name "bar" could give the impression there is no food here. But the dining room is clean and welcoming, and the food is very, very good. I bet if you go there once, you will become a regular customer.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

I usually go to Chief's a couple times a year & have always enjoyed the food, drinks & the service. We tried to go on Saturday (a party of 9) & an older woman, the hostess was very rude to us when we asked about seating. It's a small place & we were willing to wait until she told us, in a very nasty tone " you can order at the bar, go outside & eat in the back. You have to get your own food because the waitresses don't go out there". We were immediately floored because why would you set up an outdoor seating area w/o service???

We left upset but ended up going to another restaurant & ended up having the best night! I felt really bad, having my friends subjected to that rudeness, after I had spoken so highly of Chiefs & their staff.

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

I was so surprised that such a small back room bar had such excellent food!
Everything we ordered was really wonderful!
I had the stuffed flounder and it was amazing. I have never before had more crab than flounder! And it tasted delicious!
My husband ordered the Seafood Platter.
A huge serving of numerous types of seafood. He finished it all! So you know it was wonderful!
I highly recommend this bar, with fantastic food! We will return!

Date of visit: June 2018

Been to Chief's Bar? Share your experiences!