“Worth getting up for breakfast”
Review of Blue Plate Diner

Blue Plate Diner
Ranked #7 of 9 Restaurants in Barnstable
Cuisines: American
Description: West Barnstable, MA
Description: West Barnstable, MA
Reviewed 8 October 2017

We were on a 4-day visit to the Cape and stayed in Dennis. This restaurant was on the list we received for nearby places to eat. My husband and I had walnut and cranberry pancakes, and my daughter had a make-your-own omelet. We were all pleased with our meals. The place was quaint with a wall shelf along the ceiling filled with blue plates of different patterns, and the wall space below had photographs of the Cape taken by local photographers. We were there mid-week and had prompt service. After trying another local place recommended, we returned to the Blue Plate Diner for another satisfying breakfast.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I was traveling on Cape Code with my spouse and sister-in-law. We were just wondering around and decided it was time for lunch. I let them select where to eat and they chose Blue Plate Diner.

Blue Plate Diner is a small restaurant on route 6A in Barnstable. It was busy but not crowded. Parking is extremely limited and crowded.

I'm not a fan of diners and really wasn't a fan of this one. I ordered the vegetable burger and fries. I asked for no bun but welcomed what ever vegetables they put on their sandwiches. Well, they don't put vegetables on their sandwiches so I got a dry vegetable burger and fries. That was it. It was the worst veggie burger ever.

I will say that the fries where quite good. Blue Plate Diner may still be using trans fats. I didn't ask.

I won't be stopping here again unless I want just french fries.

BPDSully, Owner at Blue Plate Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

s

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Sunday morning visit to BPD with the wife and kids. We had to wait ten minutes which is expected for a Sunday morning. Problem was, there were open tables and singles sitting at 4 tops. While waiting we witnessed a line Cook drop a spatula on floor then pick up and use. (Should have left then). Once seated our waitress greeted us and was clearly flustered even though it was not that busy and at this point the restaurant was about 75% full. We ordered, the restaurant was emptying, while there were 3 cooks (a lot for a very small break joint) there was hardly any food being put out. After 30+ minutes with no food I let the waitress know that this was unacceptable and her reply was ..... “she doesn’t cook the food “

She approached the window and promptly grabbed my meal and my wife’s meal that had been waiting for the other two meals to be finished. My son ordered the blue plate big plate, which is: French toast, eggs bacon and home fries. So next arrives a plate with French toast only, then my daughters plate arrives. After we are nearly done eating my sons gets his eggs bacon and home fries which one would thing is the quickest thing to make that we ordered? I ordered the burger, doesn’t come with tomato or onion so I ordered them on the burger. The bun was very nice, but the burger was about 50% less size then bun circumference. I kid you not the onion was the smallest slice of onion I’ve ever seen, not a slice more like a shaving that would fit inside a thimble. The kicker was they charge .50c for onion and another .50c for the tomato, hey that’s their prerogative but if you going to charge, deliver the product.

All in All it was an awful experience, the food was fine, standard fare but they place is very clearly poorly run and lacks any sort of efficiency. No pun intended but I am sure their bread and butter is Sunday morning. If you are not geared up for this and can’t deliver you are not going to make. Will never return. We eat out a lot, and I don’t write reviews but this was bar none worse restaurant experience I’ve encountered, truly laughable.

BPDSully, Owner at Blue Plate Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

I heard about you ... you were a miserable individual from the moment you came in the door, I am sorry my place didn't make you feel any better! My reviews are awesome, my food is awesome, I obviously will make it after 4 1/2 years of doing this and my crew is the best on the Cape!
All The Best!
Patrick

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We stopped for a quick lunch of soup in early December - wonderful Portugese kale soup hit the spot. The owner is active in cooking and even purchasing locally - we ran into him at the Barnstable Market, next door picking up produce for the next day's soup. Great little local spot.

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Treat yourself and come in here for breakfast or lunch. It is a diner complete with warm, friendly and welcoming waitresses, delicious homemade food and charm. We were delighted that we stumbled in here for lunch. I doubt you will be disappointed.