“A Question of Perfect Balance”
Review of Feng Shui

Feng Shui
Ranked #13 of 43 Restaurants in Cohasset
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

Feng Shui Restaurant

Restaurant Style: Chinese

Last Visit: 11/29/17

Ambiance: Quiet, dark subdued lacquered oriental with careful cleanliness.

Service: Prompt and friendly.

For Kids: They may love kids here but this is more of a grown up place. Lunch buffet especially offers fried dough, fresh fruits, little cakes, and chicken fingers, but the atmosphere along with the sushi bar says business. In my younger days it would have also offered an intimate opportunity for a nice date.

Hours: Monday through Thursday 11 AM to 10 PM, Friday and Saturday 11AM to 11 PM, Sunday 12 PM to 10 PM.

Expense Account: Moderate. Figure about $10-$25 each without alcohol. Pay your server at meal’s end.

Food: There is an extensive menu here but we chose the lunch buffet. We are not Chinese buffet aficionados, however, we have eaten here several times on visits to Massachusetts and never suffered a disappointment. Any buffet tempts you with overeating, but other common buffet faults include drying out on the steam table, a tendency for all the dishes to develop the same savor, infrequent dish rotation, and a tendency of purely American dishes like pizza and French fries to creep into the selections. Feng Shui keeps small supplies of each dish on the line yet speedily restores fresh quantities when the line overwhelms the groaning board. Vegetables remain crispy, the sesame chicken crunchy in spite of twice frying, sauces smooth and clear rather than congealed and lumpy. Unlike other Chinese buffets, several appetizers took advantage of their varied preparations for contrast and reminded me of some fine dim sums in Chinatown. Steamed dumplings contrasted with their fried cousins, crisp crab Rangoon boasted thin crunchy skins without a drenching of oil. Egg rolls came full of flavor and stuffed with veggies and bits of pork. Small pots of hot and sour and egg drop soups assured they wouldn’t solidify if slow business kept them uneaten. I prefer a spicier version of hot and sour, but this one comes thick with bean curd and crisp vegetables. I sacrificed and added my own pepper. Even the chicken teriyaki on a stick had it’s on sweet flavor distinct from the crunch salt and pepper shrimp with its jalapeños. The standard fried rice thick with pork, veggies and egg carried a sharper instinctive flavor from the lo mein. Everything was good and special in itself so that I intentionally took very small portions so I could enjoy every taste. Feng Shui offers many of the pleasures of a Chinese buffet and few of its pains. If the buffet is this good then ala carte should be great.

For Non-Carnivores: The buffet boasted lo mein, egg drop soup, a vegetarian stir fry, crispy scallion pancakes, and fruits and salads. The extensive menu had many options.

Difference Dividend: Try the sushi and if you aren’t already a fan it could make you one.

Adult Beverages: full bar.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Sunday night all you can eat is a good family value with many good choices if you arrive early. The buffet tables are filled with good Chinese food options and sushi. Stay away from the lobster as it is all shelled and legs with little meat. We really like the green beans and kids found things they liked. Our second time here not as good as the first.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Thurs. evening dinner w/ the hubs. We were seated near allllllllllll the way in the last area of the restaurant. Not the table right where the restrooms were, but the next one in. The ladies room had a funky smell, one that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
Scorpion bowl was good - plenty big for the 2 of us.
Edamame was great - just hot enough and seasoned just right.
Wasabi looked old - starting to get that darker green color.
Pickled ginger was white (I'm used to that, but was still good).
Tempura sushi had a thick crust to it and I wasn't a fan of it. Was disappointing.
The sushi was OK, but I wouldn't find myself needing to go back anytime soon (or maybe every) to get my fix from Feng Shui. :(
It was more like I have wanted to try this place for a while; I did; now I can move on.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 30 June 2017

They have an extensive menu and the food is very good. We do mostly take-out, but we have eaten at the restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 22 June 2017

I should have tried the takeout at Feng Shui sooner. We moved into the area a few years ago and went to the old usual spots. This time we decided to try the takeout and was so very pleasantly surprised. The Gyoza was amazing, Oriental Crispy Pan Thai was delicious and the House Special Fried Rice (good but it was not fried) - we added soy for more flavor.

We will be back!!!