“Came back, still worth it.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mario's Cafe Ambiance
Reviewed 28 July 2017

We moved away, but come here to meet with old friends. The drinks are always very good, and the food is tasty and lots of it. The service was excellent, and they have the most personable and witty waitresses you could hope for.We started with bruschetta and spaghetti pie as appetizers. The brisket was excellent, but the pie was a little dry and heavy for an app. The hazelnut crusted scrod rated an excellent from my wife. My veal therese was very good but the sauce was a little sweet. I'm a big eater but the portions were so generous that we regrettably had no room for desert. Overall a very good restaurant and we will return on our next visit.

2  Thank mauricedullea

Reviewed 5 June 2017

My husband and I visited Mario's Cafe Ambiance for the first time, on recommendation of friends - we are so glad we took their advice! We started with Mario's Garlic Bread - yum! My husband had the house salad which was colorful and fresh (and he said very good) and I had tortellini soup with a delicious house made broth. For dinner, I had Pennette a la Veneto (penne, sliced Italian sausage, mozzarella and marinara sauce - baked) and my husband had Veal Francaise. Both of our entrees were delicious, and cooked perfectly. Sometimes in Francaise sauce all you taste is butter or lemon - this was very flavorful and with nice consistency. The marinara sauce was rich and delicious. We loved the family style service of pasta and vegetables - fortunately they ran out of broccoli, because the carrots flavored with pineapple were scrumptious. They have a nice list of reasonably priced wine - we got a wonderful Argentine malbec for $38. All food is prepared in-house, including dessert. We shared a dense, moist, flavorful slice of carrot cake. We had plenty of food leftover to take home. Our waitress, Donna, was so helpful and friendly. She was able to answer all of our questions, kept our waters filled, paid just the right amount of attention, and left us smiling. Donna is a real asset to Mario's and I trust she is appreciated by management! We can't wait to return.

2  Thank mrsclean58
Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

My wife and I loved the old establishment on State Street in Springfield many years ago, and are happy to say we love the new one as well! Visited last night with friends. Nice low lighting provides ambience for a romantic dinner or a relaxed evening with friends. Food was great! Fettuccine a la Mario was a humongous portion of excellence. Friends raved of the Eggplant Parmesan and the Sausage stuffed mushrooms. Waitress allowed us to linger over drinks long after we paid our check. Looking forward to future visits!

1  Thank Ken_Blanchard
Reviewed 6 April 2017

Great restaurant, great bartender Kelly! Food was great loved the family style for the pasta and veggies. Reasonable prices. Originally we were going to sit in dining room but someone had overdone the cologne and I could take the smell. Went to the bar instead was so glad we did. Great atmosphere and like I said Kelly the bartender was very friendly and right on top of things.

1  Thank Krystal
Reviewed 28 March 2017

The one dish to rave about was the house salad. It was downhill from there. Nothing bad, just very average. Frutti de Mare lacked piquancy. The dish just did not have the flavor I was expecting. My wife's dish, eggplant parmesan, also tasted like something from the buffet line at Golden Corral. Side dishes tasted as if they were from a can. We remember the fine cuisine from the original Mario's restaurant and sadly the new incarnation fell flat.