“Anniversary dinner”

Ranked #5 of 144 Restaurants in Gloucester
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2017

My husband and I went here for an early dinner on a Friday evening. We've eaten here a handful of times over the past 20 years and for the most part it is usually quite good. We started with the mushroom torte, which we always get, and as usual, it was delicious. For dinner my husband had the paella which he said was also very good. I got the steak and potato salad. I ordered the steak medium rare. The salad itself was great, but the steak tips were cooked beyond well. It was like chewing beef jerky. It had to have been obvious to a chef that the beef was completely overdone. I can't believe she sent that out. That burnt meat is a representation of what you consider to be your art. Have you no pride in your work? And it wasn't as if they were busy. There was only one other couple in there at the time. She really should have chucked the jerky and started from scratch with the beef. It only takes a few minutes to cook tips to medium rare. For dessert we got the creme brûlée which was delicious. The service was good, although the server really should have noticed how overdone the steak tips were before he served them.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Bread fans, hold on to your hats. They start you off here with warm popovers fresh from the oven. Sadly, they don't serve brunch, which is what we really wanted on a recent rainy Sunday. But the generously portioned smoked salmon on a warm bagel with tomato, spinach, and boursin chevre was delicious, and the side of field greens was also big and fresh. Copper topped wooden tables, copper salt and pepper shakers, and art on exposed brick walls give it a warm vibe. Alas, no liquor either, so no Bloody Mary, but beer and wine are available. And the glass of fresh orange juice was also huge and delicious. Dress is definitely casual, so tourists don't feel out of place. Our waitress was very friendly. (Don't be afraid of tap water here - it's great. No taste of chlorine, sulfur or anything unpleasant. Just really clean, good water.)

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Had a Spanish bouillabaise, very good. My husvvand did not like his oyster soup, too full of potato. The server did not take complaints well when he spilled part of a Cote du Rhone wine on the table. Another server had to come and wipe it off.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Sesame scallops sounded good on the menu. When it came it was scallops heavily encrusted with black sesame. The taste of sesame was so strong that you couldn't taste the scallops. Scallops are delicate don't need a lot of flavoring. It was a failed attempt at "Japanese" cooking. The waitress said she had got the same reaction from others and offered to take it back and get scallops without the sesame. She came back 2 min later with the same plate and said the chef/owner Eric told her that is how it was made and he would not cook it any other way.
There are many things wrong with that.
1. Erci should have known better, had he tried the dish himself.
2. If more than one customer is saying its not working ...maybe he should listen.
3. If the waitress has offered to take it back....the owner should honor that commitment
Lastly..Eric sadly success has gone to your head. I have been a customer from when you were a hole in the wall and you ran the place with your former wife 15 years ago...
My partner and I have decided we are not coming back, there are enough good options for excellent food and service on Cape Ann....this is no loner one of them.

4  Thank 7prataap
Reviewed 22 August 2017

Passports Restaurant didn't really look like much from the outside, and not much more when we walked inside. When my wife and I walked up to the door, my wife asked me if it was open. I said, well there are people inside. I have to tell you, when I first walked into Passports Restaurant I really didn't expect much. The place was kind of dark (we just came in from bright sunshine), which usually isn't a good sigh. Well, we were given our choice of seating and sat up against a wall at a table for 2. To start things off, my wife and I split a cup of clam chowder, which was piping hot, but absolutely delicious and loaded with ingredients. We then had a steak quesadilla, which we also split. Once again...delicious. The steak was cut in small strips and was very tasty and tender. The quesadilla wasn't shaped in a semi-circle like usual. It was shaped more like a calzone and cut in 3 pieces. My wife and I each had a piece and then split the 3rd piece. Don't get me wrong, we are not destitute, but prefer to eat this way so as to not over-eat. After the quesadilla, my wife had the creme brulee and I had a piece of carrot cake. Both desserts were delicious. When the check was brought to our table, I asked my wife "How much do you think the check is?" She replied "$50." I smiled and said, "It is less than $30." She was shocked. If we lived closer than we do, we would probably go to this restaurant often. However, due to the distance (about 75 miles), we will settle for going periodically and keeping it special. The food was excellent (much better than expected), the service was prompt and friendly, and the price was unbeatable.

1  Thank tommptk