“Not particularly interesting as a site to visit on its own”
Review of Ipswich River

Ipswich River
Ranked #6 of 21 things to do in Ipswich
Reviewed 18 October 2016

There is nothing especially unique or interesting about this River, at least where I saw it near the Ipswich River Provisions establishment. There is a small dock and boats with buoys.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Diddo, what more can I say. It runs from way inland (topsfield, reading...etc? Go to Foot's canou rental after the drought (9/16). Or for bigger boats and ocean, Try Ipswich town warf---off season or weekends.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

Visited the Ipswich river today just below Foots Dam and was horrified as I could walk across the river without getting wet - NO WATER
Know that it has been a dry summer, but was astonished at what I saw
Pray for rain!

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Went to the river during a recent visit and found it to be the at its lowest level that i have ever seen! The 2016 drought has brought this wonderful river to look like a stream... if that.

1  Thank Rick K
Reviewed 20 June 2016

Wonderful afternoon of kayaking the ipswich river. We started at Foote's (?)where they allowed us to launch our own kayaks. The river apparently is running lower than average due to low winter/spring precipitation. Even though it was "busy" in spots it was very peaceful and pleasant. I was expecting black flies and mosquitos en masse but was pleasantly surprised to only come across the occasional mosquito. The birds and bull frogs were singing all along our route. The vegetation was pretty dense and there were some fallen trees to navigate. I found the kayaking easy except for two sections where the current was a bit strong, this had more to do with the kayak I was using. The are beaver lodges and a beaver swam right underneath my boat. We saw several families in canoes with young children so it seems very family friendly. There was also a variety of wildlife-painted turtles, bullfrogs, birds, fish and Canadian geese with goslings (so cute).
I will definitely be visiting again soon.