“Made to Order, Delicious and Fresh Sandwiches”
Review of Essen

Essen
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 24 June 2017

My husband and I were on vacation, driving north from Boston Logan Airport. We stopped in the quaint town of Manchester by the Sea to look for a quick bite to eat. A local recommended two spots, one served lots of salads and the other sandwiches. We opted for the sandwiches and ended up at Essen. We were delighted with the many menu choices. Choosing the Albacore tuna with dill, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers served on wheat bread and, the turkey club. Both had very fresh ingredients and were delicious.
Lots of people were coming and going and no one appeared disappointed with their order. Place is small with a few tables inside and out along the sidewalk. Wait staff were ok, not overly friendly and slow with making the sandwiches however, everything is fresh. My vote, well worth the wait.

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Just wanted a quick ham & cheese sandwich to go, fewer than 6 people seated. I paid for the sandwich, about 8$ and sat by the counter. The "chef" put a bunch of sandwiches out for pickup, not mine, and then disappeared. A new person came in, they made her order and she was on her way. More came in, placed their orders and still no sandwich.
That was enough so I left - I left the money and the miserable place.
Note: the bathroom door opens 5 feet from the sandwich prep area - gross.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Went from daily customer to once a week to 'why is this place still open'.

Met someone there for coffee last week... the first thing one notices is the place is dirty - from counter, to displays, to floor and seating. The second is the baked goods are all from mixes - muffins, etc. The third are the people - what an unfriendly group of people - not that they're rude, they would prefer not to be bothered with customers.

Cash only in a day of Apple Pay and Square, and it is the most expensive place among Beverly, Manchester, Gloucester to go for coffee.

Again, why doesn't someone else take this place over - it has location location location...

1  Thank PortableWheels
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

All 5 of us loved our sandwiches: chipotle chicken, smoked salmon bagel, chicken pesto, chicken salad wrap. The ingredients on my smoked salmon were fresh and tasty and the everything bagel was also good. The service was quick and pleasant. I would definitely stop here again for a quick lunch.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

I'd love this place to be my go-to, but it's expensive, not very cozy and the coffee is pretty lame. The owner seems nice, but the staff is hit or miss with attitude and service. Great location, love the outdoor seating, and sandwiches are usually good but a bit pricey.

1  Thank _edelweisstea