“Service faux pas”
Review of Purple Onion Cafe

Purple Onion Cafe
Ranked #26 of 107 Restaurants in Newburyport
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We decided to stop here for some lunch whilst wandering around the town for the afternoon.

I had a Cuban wrap which was on the specials menu & my wife had a spicy chicken rice bowl.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her meal. Mine was ok, the wrap itself had little flavour & the ham was almost like luncheon meat.

Now to my issue - Although the lady who served us was polite & friendly, I was a little taken aback by the fact that a mother with her newborn who were sat next to us had to get up, leave her stroller and possessions outside, carry her baby & go into the restaurant to see if her order was ready. It was in fact ready and was just sat on the counter. She wasn't too pleased as she expressed to us and we were dumbfounded that no one had either told her it was ready or just brought the food out to her.

I appreciate this may not be a full service restaurant. However, I saw around 4 staff in there and I sincerely don't understand how 1 out of the 4 couldn't use their initiative to take the food out to this lady with a baby sat on her lap, rather than just leave her food sitting there and wait for her to come get it.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

This is a nice sandwich shop with lots of alternatives like stir fry bowls and such. Lots to choose from on their menu as well as adjust to your own taste. What is even more important is that they are pretty quick!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

A place advertising the best gazpacho ever has a lot to live up to.

The good
The gazpacho was very good... thought not the best I've ever had by a long shot. (That title goes to Raucha in Union Sq Somerville... which no longer exists.)

The bad
The kitchen was surprisingly slow.
The turkey wrap was much more cheese than turkey.

I think we could have made a better choice in Newburyport.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

3 sandwiches drinks soda we were told chips came with our sandwiches I expected potato chips and got a handful of tortilla chips. My roast beef sandwich had zero taste, another buffalo wrap was so hot my daughter couldn't eat it, lips were burning, but worst mistake was not eating it outside, this place inside was the dirtiest place I've been to. I sat down and was afraid to put my back on a pillow, air conditioner filled with dirt, duct taped all around, curtain below that so dirty, stained, chairs filthy, legs gross, the more I looked around the worse my lunch tasted, will never go back, nausea thinking about it.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Had a wonderful chicken salad wrap but two sandwiches were $30.00- two drinks & a bag of chips. Great little cafe just very pricey- however everything is freah.