“The best baker in Massachusetts”
Review of Bread and Chocolate - CLOSED

Bread and Chocolate
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 22 June 2015

This amazing bakery has some of the best scones I've ever tasted - and I've traveled around the world. Try the Cheddar and Chive. Incredible cakes, cookies, unusual scone combinations, this is some of the best baking in town. In addition, they have delish lunches - sandwiches and soups, and for weekends they are open for brunch. Omelets and potatoes with homemade ketchup, french toast to die for, all the selections are excellent. I'm so glad they opened up in my town!

Date of visit: June 2015

Reviewed 30 May 2015

The menu options are surprisingly broad, and everything I've had has been fresh and nicely prepared. There is also an impressive beverage menu, including pretty decent (but not great) espresso. Baked good are awesome; salads and sandwiches are great. There is lots of seating indoors but it gets a bit noisy. The outdoor seating is quite beautiful on a nice day.

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed 7 May 2015

3 "stars" is hopefully only temporary. Sad to report that this bakery/cafe (on Lincoln Street, Newton Highlands) --- that excels in pastries and knows how to properly roast its take-out whole chicken --- can't hold back on the salt in their spice mix for that chicken. Yes, give it an interim pass: it's a place that does so much so well. But urge them to hold back on that salt! No one needs that much of it!

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed 28 April 2015

Visited both locations I during our visit last March. We ate in at the Newton location. Croissants & pastries were very good. Coffee had to ask for it to be hotter. Also visited their smaller location I think in Needham, this time bought croissants, bread and muffins for take out. Very good.

Date of visit: March 2015
Reviewed 25 April 2015

I don't normally stop for coffee on the way to work, but I happened to be in the area 3 days this week and fondly remembered a brunch I ate hear a few years ago. There are lots of delicious-looking bakery products that I couldn't overlook.

On Day 1, I had to order bagel lox and cream cheese (which I repeated today). Choice of plain or whole wheat bagel (okay, a little boring). But it was delish! Though the pricing is weird--I couldn't figure it out--are the prices cumulative or inclusive? The receipt was no help. Looks like I paid $9 ($5.50 + $3.50).

Coffee was fine--not spectacular, not bad. Iced tea is very good, though on Day 2, my request for no ice (drinking later in the day) yielded a 2/3-filled cup. Okay, I get it. But it's iced tea--what's the actual cost for the other 1/3? 5 cents?

But this is where it gets good. Day 1 I picked up a small chicken pot pie. Hubby isn't a huge fan (he detests the generally ubiquitous red pepper) but he said "from beginning to end, the BEST chicken pot pie I've ever had." Wow. Best $7.50 I spent all week.

Day 2, I purchased the falafel. I love falafel, even if it's not great. But I am a bit of a falafel connoisseur. I was going to heat up the generous portion (I think, $5) but got lazy at work and just took a bite of one. OMG. FLUFFY inside. Light, airy, like a Mediterranean cloud. So unexpected! I forced myself to share with a couple of colleagues and they, too, were astounded.

And there's more: The penne, chicken, broccoli I heated up for my daughter's lunch yesterday--she exclaimed: "That was the BEST, Mom!" Granted, she says that about a lot of pasta, but she was really upset that there was no more (she doesn't know I picked up more today). I tried the pasta yesterday when I was preparing it (a little "fell" out of her Thermos). It WAS good. I thought my 9-year-old wouldn't like all the black pepper--I actually thought the Thermos would be full of pasta when it returned--but it was a big hit. Another $5.50 (for a pint) well spent.

Each of my 3 days they had gluten-free brownies ($3) and banana bread ($3). I asked for no ends--they said they cut them off anyway. Now I'm thinking I would love to eat those ends right now.

The banana bread is made with almond flour (for those with nut allergy issues). And there is a sign that states that their GF items are made in a facility with wheat, etc., so not ideal if you're Celiac.

I'm freezing and packing the GF sweets for my 11-year-old son's lunches next week. When I cut the brownie in half (muffin shaped), a little chocolate stayed on the knife, so I had to clean it off. Wow, darn good for GF--you'd never know it was gluten-free.

I ate the salad Nicoise for lunch today. Very fresh with a well-balanced balsamic vinaigrette on the side. Perfectly-cooked, split hard-boiled egg, crunchy par-cooked green beans, tuna (no mayo), pit-less olives. Yum. A little pricey--I think $11.

My son will be trying their fried chicken tonight, and maybe tomorrow the Boston Cream Pie Cupcake ($5).

I will return for the coconut lemon cupcake (or cake). A personal favorite. There was also a lemon muffin that looked like it was filled with curd. I am a lemon fiend--I can't wait!

Overall, I was surprised that not only are their baked items delectable, but their meals to-go are truly delicious. A great value compared to Whole Paycheck down the street.

Tip: If you get there early enough, you can get day-old baked items for about $1. Good deal.

Date of visit: April 2015