“Great Neighborhood Pizza/Grinder Shop”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
D & A House of Pizza
Ranked #138 of 275 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 4 December 2015

This is your classic neighborhood pizza joint. Don't go here looking for anything fancy. However, if you're looking for a good hot grinder for lunch or a good pie for dinner then this is your place. The small dining area and open kitchen are spotless and you can tell the owners care (very nice by the way) and I've always been treated right. Every hot grinder I've had there has been excellent (I'd recommend the meatball or cheeseburger). Super fresh bread, good quality ingredients, and made with care. Same goes for their pizza, which is available by the slice for lunch. Good value as well. Solid, consistent choice in my book.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Wow, having not been there in a while and now working in the area, I've paid a visit to this place a couple of times recently - it is in walking distance from my office - and cannot believe how mediocre it is. Especially since so many reviews indicate the opposite.

Most recently I got an order of spaghetti and meatballs to go and after waiting for it to be made, which took nearly ten minutes, I left the store with an aluminum plate full of pasta and chopped up meatballs. The plate was placed inside of a paperbag and they gave me a paper plate to insulate my hands from the heat. Needless to say that I didn't walk one hundred yards before I burnt myself and before the spaghetti sauce made it's way through the paper bag and onto my jacket. Pissed.

But no big deal, I was hungry and when I got to the office a minute later, cleaned up and decided to take a bite of my dish I found it to be absolutely disgusting. The pasta was unseasoned, overcooked and the meatballs were far from juicy, moist, tender and flavorful. Instead I had these hard lumps of mystery meat that were served on top of this crappy pasta. It was by far the worst plate of spaghetti and meatballs that I've ever had. The small piece of bread which was a bit dry and which came with it was almost like adding salt to my wounds. I wouldn't even dare serve that kind of dish to a dog. Now I have to sit there and hope that I don't get sick from this...

Honestly this is hugely disappointing and on top of that their minimum to pay by card is $20, and their service isn't even friendly.

I cannot in my own, right mind give this place anything above a one star - a star that stands for mediocre food, mediocre service and mediocre execution. There's much better alternatives within a few blocks from this place and I'd caution you to use this as your very last resort.

No thanks.