“Erratic service, food mostly good - TV's on football night overwhelming”
Review of Cook

Cook
Ranked #8 of 275 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 December 2014

We were there for a family dinner (2 grandparents, son and spouse and 2 grandchildren-5 & 8) Sunday evening after Thanksgiving Day. Service very attentive and fast when we arrived until food arrived. Then wait person seemed to disappear – had to search for her and wave hand to get attention. Food was good- children really liked theirs, as did the other adults. I had broiled cod; while well cooked, the portion was small – surprisingly small, I thought. There was a NE Patriots football game on the TV’s (3 massive ones above the bar), which were LOUD and seemed to dominate the restaurant. I could have stayed at home and seen that. Place seemed more “Pub like” that restaurant like! Prices were on high side, $150 with 4 drinks, but 2 children’s meals, 2 hamburgers and one salad (and my cod). SO it was an OK experience and I would try it 1 more time (maybe our next visit to Newton). Not overly excited

Reviewed 9 December 2014

i went here for lunch today and enjoyed the lobster sliders. They were excellent. I had the gingerbread for dessert which was phenomenal. I was able to get a 7:30 reservation for my group of 4. Unfortunately we were seated until 8:20 (none of the customers wanted to leave,I guess). However, the hostess who was most apologetic brought us over a delicious flatbread on the house for our wait. This was followed by a great bottle of wine on the house as well. I have to say how wonderful they were to make up for our delay. Well the dinners were all excellent from the flat. Iron steak to the Cobb salad to the tagliatelle. Our waitress continued to be helpful and thoughtful. So overall I would definitely recommend this place. Prices are good. Quality is high. The staff was amazing. I will return here for sure.

Reviewed 3 December 2014

We like almost everything on Cook's menu. The vietnamese glazed pork ribs are excellent! As are the shrimp tacos, which can conveniently be ordered 1 at a time: very crispy yet lightly coated shrimp in a neat little taco with perfect sauce. The pasta bolognese is a stomach warming winter bowl of deliciousness. Can't skip the kale salad - I know it sounds like a trend at this point but Cook's wins my price. We are usually too full for dessert, and haven't been impressed with those when we have tried, so stick to the appetizers, salads and entrees: all terrific.

Reviewed 3 December 2014

I ate here recently with a friend and we both enjoyed it very much. The shrimp tacos were a delicious appetizer, the kale salad was tasty, crunchy and perfectly dressed. Our main course, a chicken dish, was not as exciting, but we expected that from its description. Drinks were reasonable and generous and staff was attentive. We will definitely eat here again!

Reviewed 1 December 2014

Just happened to find Cook online as we passed through the area on our way into Boston. Trendy, cool atmosphere ... very NYC Soho-like. Food was really good. We had the lobster sliders and spinach falafel sandwiches ... along with a Bloody Mary. Perfect for lunch! Very pleasant and attentive staff. I wish Cook was in my neighborhood ... I'd be a regular!

Been to Cook? Share your experiences!