Boston Marriott Newton
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewscharles riverthe concierge loungeview of the riverfull service marriottindoor poolan older propertyhotel shuttlebusiness tripriverside stationmass pikestayed here for one nightfree internetfitness centerconvenient locationoff the highwaygreen linelobby
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I was booked into this hotel by my secretary and noticed a previous review about someones bad experience getting coffee. I was a little taken aback by the comments but since I was booked, I decided to go. I'm very glad I did! The staff was amazing, the rooms were very large and fresh, and the reatsurant (while busy) has awesome service and great food. I will be coming to town regularly and will now stay at this hotel exclusively. I'm not sure what this ither person was thinking about but it certainly wasn't THIS Marriott!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank golfingfriends
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2009

Thank you so much for sharing your positive comments. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your positive experience with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit.

Thomas M. McKenney

Reviewed 12 September 2009

The hotel itself is old, but it has been fixed up and is reasonably nice on the inside. Parking and internet costs extra. Great fitness room and small pool. Bar served good food. Shuttle to and from metro station was very handy. Located right next to two freeways, which was very convenient.

Service was inconsistent. When I entered the hotel, an employee was there to greet me, asked me my name, and handed me the key and I was on my way. That was great. On the first morning, I received the WSJ and the USA Today (my Marriot profile asks for the WSJ). On the second day, only the USA Today, and on the third morning, no paper at all. One of those mornings I asked at the front desk if they had any WSJs and they told me I had to go buy one. They advertise that they have running routes mapped out and available to guests, but when I asked at the front desk the employee couldn't produce a map or help me out at all.

They need to be a bit more careful with their maintenance. My room was conveniently located by a stairwell that exited outside, but every time I used this exit the door would not close all the way, allowing someone without a key to easily sneak into the hotel. Not very secure.

There are a lot of other choices in the area, so next time I'm there I'll try another place.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2009

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Boston Newton Marriott. We are pleased that you enjoyed our fitness room and the convenience of our complimentary shuttle service. We are very sorry that your paper delivery was inconsistent. We will review this and your other comments with our staff so that we may improve upon your experience in the future. We are in the process of making many improvements to our property which include new flat screen televisions and wireless internet. We hope that you will stay with us again in the near future. Please contact us prior to your arrival so that we may insure a great experience.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

I was pleasant surprised by a recent trip we made to the Newton Marriot. The room was great , the bedding was fantastic and luxurious. The room had adequate towles ect and a rainfall shower- it was clean and everything worked. My daughter enjoyed the pool and exercise room both of which were well equipped and the pool staffed by an attendant.
Again - the hot tub, sauna,, and all the machines appeared to work. Staff were friendly and accomodating. no frigde or mini-bar.The hotel restaurant was expensive but was less than the restaurant Skipjack which they reccommended. The map they gave us was also hard to follow and off scale. There was also a coincerge floor where we had a full breakfast for free in the morning . overall we were quite happy in contrast to other reviewers -also we did not pay for parking and were not charged.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank josephjudy
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2009

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We are continuously improving our property and working to provide the best possible guest experience.

Reviewed 31 August 2009

We frequent Marriotts often but this one was a disappointment.
$9 a day to park in an enormous lot guarded by 1 person letting everyone in is a scam. Then at check in they had a memo warning of a rash of GPS thefts so we should lock up our valuables-leaving me to wonder what the $9 covers.
The complementary shuttle to the Metro was SLOW. We called for a return pick up which ended at 8pm. Our train pulled in at 8:01 and as we and others ran into the parking lot the shuttle continued to pull out not even waiting to see if any of their guests were on the train (8pm means 8pm)...as a "courtesy?" the driver agreed to come back and get us 20 minutes later.
The lobby was FREEZING.
The room itself was refurbished but nothing spectacular. The feather beds were extremely itchy with feather stems almost poking through the sheets. The bathroom door did not shut. The shower had only one setting which had no water pressure. The "view" of the Charles is underwhelming. The pool was nice however our room key did not work to open the door so we were left outside of the door banging on it to try to get an attendants attention, only to be told that it should be working. The hallways were filled with trays from people that had ordered room service the night prior and left sitting on the carpets (ugh).
The free breakfast was extremely limited and what we ordered off the menu was expensive and not very good.
The bill at checkout was incorrect and took 12 minutes at the counter to resolve. They fixed it but offered no apologies for my time or their errors.
This was truly a disappointing stay for my family.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank cak66
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I recently stayed here for two nights while on business. The hotel is in the process of being renovated; so the hotel is not new. Although my my room was very nicely appointed; I did experience a bit of humidity inside the room (I guess because it's an older hotel). It was very convenient to the Turnpike as well as I-95 and was easy to get to and out of.
The restaruant has a great view of the Charles River and I enjoyed having dinner in the hotel's bar and breakfast was amazing. There were plenty of interesting and friendly people coming in and out...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business