“Fantastic Hotel for Business in the Boston Suburbs”

Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed 2 December 2014

I truly enjoyed my four night stay here. The rooms were nicely appointed, always very clean, and the bed plush. I had some issues with my wireless access on the first night that was quickly resolved. The hotel's chef made a southern style potato salad that had even our most ambitious dieters asking for seconds (and thirds). I wish it was a bit more convenient for either public transport (a bus stops nearby) and/or parking. Public transport from the airport is over an hour (or about 15 minutes by car). During the weekdays, you have to park in the garage unless you want to move your car repeatedly and that tacks on another $25 per day.

The employees must be well treated here as well. All of them, without exception, were exceedingly helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
HotelManagerCP, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2014

Dear Putnik555,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we are happy that you enjoyed our hospitality. We hope to have the opportunity to once again welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Newton in the near future.

Warmest Regards,
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 26 November 2014

When I checked in at this hotel, I asked for a quiet room--I mentioned that I had heard the hotel was perched over the Mass Pike and had a noise problem. The clerk sent me to the 6th floor. The room was incredibly loud from the traffic. I went back downstairs and was reassigned to the 11th floor (there are 12). It was only slightly better, and still intolerable. I checked out and went to the Marriott in Newton, about 10 minutes away.. It was very quiet.

The young woman at the desk was unsmiling and unapologetic. She made it clear that this was the best the hotel had to offer--all the rooms are over the freeway.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else! All the rooms are noisy from freeway traffic, but they are sightly better on h...
1  Thank OwlofMinerva50
Jeff T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2014

Dear StewartJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in the services that we provide, and work closely with our guests to ensure their stay is a memorable one. I will share your feedback with our team, and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so that we can show you what true hospitality is.

Thank you again for sending us your feedback.

Happy Holiday's!

Reviewed 23 November 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in the recommendation of a friend. I am glad we listened. The hotel is just outside Boston, right on I90, in fact it's built over top of the highway. If you are in a lower floor, I'm sure you can hear the traffic. I requested a high floor and we didn't hear anything. Our room faced downtown Boston and the sights were awesome at night. The only complaint was in the morning the sun streamed into our room despite the blinds. This may not be a problem with some, but I like it completely dark until I wake up. This certainly won't keep me from staying here again though. The parking is alittle expensive at 28/30 self/valet per day, but there aren't many options to avoid this. Public transportation is just across the street and easy to navigate. The concierge was very helpful in answering our questions and telling us how to get around. This is the first time we've visited Boston and I feel we made our way around easily and safely. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2014
1  Thank Tydi
Jeff T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

Dear Tydi,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We have a truly passionate team here that works hard to ensure our guests have all the information they need to get around the area. I am sorry that you found your room to not be dark enough. We appreciate the feedback. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 November 2014

The hotel is nice, but there are some issues. First off, the hotel is built on top if Interstate 90. If you're higher up this may not be an issue, but one the 4th floor you can hear the highway below as the noise comes in through the A/C unit. Also, speaking of the A/C unit, it is very loud and turns on and off through out the night about every 5 minutes. So, aside from the highway noise you have the noise from the A/C unit. Needless to say, I did not sleep the entire night.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor and bring ear plugs.
2  Thank rg007_MI
Jeff T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2014

Dear Rg007_MI,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were unable to get a restful nights sleep while here. We do offer sleep kits at the front desk if ever needed. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further with you. Simply email me at gm@crowneplazanewton.com.

I look forward to speaking with you!

Reviewed 16 November 2014

We booked this hotel through a blind bid on Priceline, thinking it was closer to Boston. To our dismay it's out west of the downtown about 8-9 miles, another 2-3 miles from Logan airport. Accepting our mistake, we tried to plan accordingly. But we had more surprises coming.

The Washington street turn-off from I-90 to the Crowne Plaza is easy enough. When we arrived, however, is when I first realized that the hotel actually straddles the interstate. That's right. Some genius (?!) designed the structure so that it sits directly over the highway! The clatter of trucks and cars is certainly evident in the evening, but in the early morning I felt like I was harnessed to the back of a speeding motorcycle. Adding to that symphony of dissonance was a heating/air conditioning unit in my room that buzzed loudly when it started up and then groaned like an old airplane engine as it torturously clicked off. All that was bad enough, but I wish it were the only problem.

The room was spacious, but reeked from the smell of cheap deodorizer, and the beds had lumpy, worn mattresses. Then the drapes for the huge windows were a joke! They only came out a few inches. Instead, the only way to shield the room from light were two, industrial strength, glider-sized, manila shades that - get this - could only be adjusted by pulling link chains mounted on pulleys on the side of each window, reminiscent perhaps of what was used to lift a drawbridge of a medieval castle.
The excessive $28/day parking charge became even more annoying when my lot pass failed to function one of the nights. I can't even describe the precarious difficulty I had backing up to get out of the way of three cars lined behind me. The desk clerk merely said the invalid pass was a mistake - no other explanation or attempt to compensate for the inconvenience. On another day, a desk staffer recommended restaurants she explicitly said were "right across the street." They were, in fact, more than 8 blocks away on a different street, which we only found after wandering around and asking some locals. Goodness!

Would I ever return to this place? If I do, it'd be time for me to seek serious therapy for making such a decision.

Room Tip: select a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank sand-da-man
Jeff T, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2014

Dear San-Da-Man,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations! We pride our selves on the services that we provide, as well as the cleanliness and conditions of our rooms.

I would like to discuss your experiences further with you. Please email me at gm@crowneplazanewton.com at your convenience.

I look forward to speaking with you!

Jeff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
6 km away
6.9 km away
Residence Inn Boston Needham
6.6 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston Cambridge-Arlington

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!