Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Ways to Experience Martha’s Vineyard Tours and Transportation
from US$55.00
More Info
1,116 results
All reviews hour tour great tour martha s vineyard private tour great overview tour guide was very knowledgeable the entire island three hours highly recommend this tour past and present the bus interesting stories beautiful island great sense of humor first time visitors points of interest island history
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 October 2021

This would have been rated a 5 star review, if it weren't for our tour guide. I wanted to rate the tour only 3 stars because of the tour guide, but didn't feel like that was fair to this tour company.
We booked a 4 hour private tour several months before our visit to Martha's Vineyard. The woman I spoke to when we made our reservation was very nice and the process was very easy. I wanted our tour to be a bit different than what was on their website, so I called instead of doing an online reservation. She understood our needs and readily made a tour for us.
We had never been to Martha's Vineyard and only had a few hours. We requested a 4 hour tour with a very quick lunch that basically took us to most of the well known sites on the island.
Our tour was to be from 9:45-1:45 and our guide was to meet us as we got off the ferry.
All was well, and the tour company confirmed our tour a few days before. The tour guide called us about 10 minutes before we arrived at Oak Bluffs and told us what he was wearing and what he was driving.
He picked the two of us up in a large van so we had a lot of space.
As we boarded the van to leave, I told Jim we had to be on the 2:15 ferry and our tour was over at 1:45. He said,"Duly Noted", and off we went.
Jim was very knowledgeable and had lots of stories to tell. However, he didn't seem very plugged in to us. He would ask a question, but if one of us knew an answer, he went ahead and explained anyway, like he had to maintain a script.
Overall though, he did a good job and we learned a lot of things along our way, that we would not have otherwise known.
We had a very quick lunch at a sandwich stop, which was perfect for our needs, and we were on the road again.
The trouble began about 12:30. At that time I said, "Jim, we have about an hour and 15 minutes before we need to be back". Duly noted, I was told. "I'll have you back on time."
So he continued taking us where he wanted us to go.
At 1:00, I asked him if we were heading back to the pier and he said he had two more places he wanted to take us.
At 1:30, I asked him again if we were heading back and his response was,"you won't be late".
At that point I asked him to take us back to the pier. I knew we were a pretty good distance away and we wouldn't be back before 2:00.
About 1:50, I spoke up again. I was pretty upset at this time and quite anxious that we wouldn't make the ferry.
Things did get a little heated, but he stepped on the gas to get us back.
He told me he didn't realize that we wanted to be back before 2:15.
I was pretty incredulous. Not only had a asked about returning several times, this man has lived on the island for over 30 years, so he had to know the ferry schedules and know they board about 20 minutes before leaving. If we had arrived at 2:15, it's likely we would have been waving at the back of the ferry.
He got us to the pier at 2:10 and had the audacity to say,"see, I got you back early"!
I had made arrangements when I booked the tour, to pay in cash on the day, and had money to give Jim. When I wanted to pay him, he said he didn't know anything about that and wouldn't take my money. He tried to call someone to find out what to do, but no one answered. I ended up giving him my cc info, which I was not happy about at all.
Of course we tipped him well anyway and had treated him to lunch.
The tour itself was excellent, the tour guide, not so much.

1  Thank luvtravel88
MVToursTransport, Owner at Martha’s Vineyard Tours and Transportation, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi
We did speak on the phone re: this and you did receive a partial refund for this inconvenience. I addressed this with Jim to not have a repeat experience. So I'm sorry you felt like you needed to write a blow-by-blow of your experience....maybe to make you feel better....so I hope it did!
Best
Teri

Reviewed 21 October 2021 via mobile

Had a wonderful time with Dave as our guide. The tour was just the right amount of history, culture and local gossip related to Martha’s Vineyard. Interesting to have a perspective from someone who had lived on the island for more than 40 years. Highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed 21 October 2021

Six of us did the tour with Harry, our van driver and guide , in September. It was wonderful!. Harry has lived on the island for most of his life and is extremely knowledgeable, interesting, and often funny. We made a stop for lobster rolls and greatly enjoyed the three hour trip around Martha's.

Dave

Date of experience: September 2021
Reviewed 19 October 2021 via mobile

This tour is not worth the time or money, the van was very uncomfortable I sat in the middle I could not see the things that the guide was trying to point out he drove by places too fast no photo opps when he did stop we only had 10 minutes to look around we waited at least 30 minutes for road construction I actually fell asleep during from his long boring stories

Date of experience: October 2021
MVToursTransport, General Manager at Martha’s Vineyard Tours and Transportation, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2021

We are sorry you feel this way. We wish you had called the office. We would love to know who your guide was. We can not help road construction and the time it took to get through it. Unfortunately you did not give us and opportunity to correct the matter. We try our best to be number 1 and it's with the help of people like you that make us that. Your constructive criticism helps us grow. We wish you had given us that opportunity. Thank you for the somewhat helpful review

Reviewed 17 October 2021

Two of us booked a private tour due to Covid and from past experience, have discovered that private tours are much more rewarding and can be personalized for the people taking the tour.

Our wonderful tour guide was Ken Chisholm who had lived on Martha's Vineyard for many years and was full of useful information and stories about the Island. He was on time; very polite; and took his time during the tour. He would also stop whenever we wanted to take a photo. He even stopped in the quaint fishing village of Menemsha to taste some of the popular fish or lobster chowda.

Ken took us to all six towns on the Island. All were vastly unique and different with differences that could easily be seen and understood by listening to Ken and actually seeing their differences