“Learned So Much”

Herman Melville's Arrowhead
Ranked #5 of 28 things to do in Pittsfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed for the season. Tours will start in May, 2017.
Reviewed 20 August 2017

I have not read much of Herman Melville's work, but going on this tour motivated me to read more. Fascinating.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Go see this lovely farm house caught in time. A college student provided a good hour tour of the house and history of Melville and his family with details and some of her personal impressions. The view of the inspirational "Moby Dick" mountains from the small writing room was impressive in that Melville wasn't even on the sea when he wrote the story! There's also a path the woods for limited hiking.

1  Thank Laura7Clearwater
Reviewed 12 July 2017

As a local, I drive by this house several times a month. I've visited this museum several times. It's a nice little museum if you're a huge fan of Melville...the rooms are decorated with period furniture, and you can get a sense of his inspiration from the surrounding Berkshire Hills. This is a quick place to visit, you can see everything in less than an hour. He's an important American author, but honestly, once was enough for me. I suppose I'm not that into Melville, but I find it a little boring. My first visit here was as a kid, and I felt so privileged to visit this home, and I still remember it. As an adult, meh. I'm just not that into it. The guides are great and they work hard to bring him to life. It's just not my thing I guess.

3  Thank drdopeymd
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

I am a fan of Moby Dick so was really looking forward to visiting Arrowhead. The house and grounds are really nice. The tour was very informative. Great place to visit!

1  Thank teec159
Reviewed 4 July 2017

Arrowhead was Herman Melville's home when he wrote Moby Dick. The guided tour gives you a real sense of Melville's life and family, his writing habits, and the surrounding area. The views from the house are spectacular as well.