“Saturday Brunch”

Southern Kin Cookhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Southern Kin Cookhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 330 Restaurants in Somerville
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Hubby and I were in town visiting our friends and they suggested Southern Kin, which was really close to where we stayed in Somerville. I ordered the Paloma, which was delicious and perfectly boozy and tart to go with the Malted Buttermilk Waffle with fresh berries. I was originally going to order the Gullah Breakfast and I'm glad I didn't. I come from a southern family, specifically Gullah, and grits is a staple in our household and I'm pretty particular about them. My husband ordered the So'kin Benedict, which came with a side of grits and it just looked like a lump of nothing. I originally thought it was potato salad. I did try some and the texture, to me, was all wrong and very little flavor. Grits should be creamy and hot and most importantly, have salt. Our friends commented that they tried a grits dish, but that it wasn't memorable. That's not to say the other dishes that feature grits aren't great. I just did not try those dishes. On the plus side, we were able to sit inside but by one of the sliding doors so we had a nice summer breeze while we ate. I would return here again the next time we are in town and would try a dish where the grits are the main feature to see if that would make a difference.

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

Expected more from the ribs ordered, tasted like it was boiled and slather with sauce and not bbq.

Fried chicken was not flavorful and greasy. Dipping sauce tasted "rusty" when I asked the waitress what it was, she said it was their own and a kitchen experiment. Ugh!

Only salvation was the fried okra.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

I'm not much into the southern food fare scene, but it works well here. Light atmosphere, friendly servers, small-ish menu, but really fresh and tasty. I've had the catfish (today) but I've also had the Chicken/Waffles and the brined chicken. Great apps as well. Define worth a visit

Reviewed 15 May 2017

We went on Mother's Day--our "mistake"--no reservations! However, it was not a mistake. John, the manager, could not have been more accommodating. We soon found two (stylish) seats at the end of the bar...and we found two great bartenders, too. We ordered two creative versions of the classic brunch drink, a Bloody Mary. A Southern Gentleman and the Red Eye. Who knew bourbon mixes with Bloody Mary mix? Loved our Canteen pint cups--gotta get some! Brunch meal was fried chicken and eggs. So worth the extra calories. Bar staff was friendly and helpful--shout out to Lilliana and Jay--amazing! As we wrapped up our meal, I was gifted with buttermilk pie. We left there full, pleased and happy. Can we return soon, ya'll???

Reviewed 15 May 2017

I've been to Southern Kin several times with friends and family. The food is fantastic--especially the fried chicken, which is the perfect combination of crispy and juicy. Their sauces are all delicious, but I have to admit that the fried chicken is pretty tasty even without them!

As for the service: the general manager is always around, asking how people are doing and how their meals are. He seems to genuinely care about his patrons. I recently had an experience there where my takeout order took a long time to come out and suffice to say, William made the situation right.