“Fun Atmosphere and a Great Value”

Oliveiras Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Oliveiras Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 315 Restaurants in Somerville
Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

First-time visit for my family, including our 10-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son. We all enjoyed the food, the service, the uniqueness of a Brazilian steak house.

You can opt for all-you-can-eat for $26.99 or by the pound ($8.20—not sure if that includes the plate but either way, it's a good deal!).

(Total for dinner (w/tax; not tip): $102.73.)

In both cases, you go to the salad bar area. The bar on the left offers a few meats including pork ribs plus fried fish, and Brazilian sides including stuffing (yum!), beans, and sweet plantains (yum yum). There is also white rice and rolls for undeveloped taste buds.

The main bar is basically salad ingredients and fruit. It is very clean and tidy but oddly not very appealing. Too many other tantalizing foods to tempt you away from the healthier options. (The only lettuce was over-dressed Caesar.)

At the back of this area is where you find the meat. You read the list of rotisserie offerings on the right side and ask for anything you want. We opted for very small portions of items including beef ribs, linguica, lamb. All perfectly cooked.

My son, who has the biggest appetite of us, ordered the all-you-can-eat. This means that in addition to the food bars, various servers stop by to offer whatever is on their long, sizzling skewer, which they deftly slice off with very sharp knives. Again, opt for small portions of several items.

A circle card green on one side means, "please stop by and tell me what you have." The red side means, "please pass me over; I'm good for now." You can flip this over as many times as you want.

The oddest items were the chicken hearts. My son said they were chewy. The other meats were more mainstream. I think we spotted pineapple on a skewer but we were too full.

The rest of us aren't quantity eaters, and I'd say next time, we will probably all go by weight. The totals for the 3 of us, very well fed, were $8.45, $9.43, $15.25.

Their Caipirinha mojitos ($8) are fantastic—I tried the passion fruit. They had a special mojito finished with ginger ale that didn't sound quite as good.

The kids each tried a Brazilian soda, Guarana Antartica ($2.50), which is similar to ginger ale.

The dessert cases are located near the entrance. The server displays samples of the desserts tableside. We selected chocolate mousse ($4), which, though pudding like but still yummy, comes partially in a chocolate shell. There was an item in the middle that the kids think was PEANUT BUTTER, so if there's an allergy in your party, definitely ask.

My husband enjoyed the cheesecake ($4). We also tried a Pave de Bombom ($4). These came in 2-3 flavors; we ordered chocolate inside chocolate. It was very rich and delicious.

We made reservations but 6:00 on a Saturday night during the summer wasn't a problem. There is a smallish lot and street parking. The restaurant is located in kind of a weird area, so as your driving when the GPS says you've arrived, take the turn and you'll easily see the restaurant.

Reviewed 22 July 2016

My partner and I enjoyed dinner at Oliveira's recently while in town. We were warmly welcomed and had excellent service throughout. There is a buffet for non-meat selections which had a very good variety of dishes. The carved meat that was brought endlessly to our table was well-prepared and delicious. A pretty good drink menu rounded out our meal and we left with a very good impression of this restaurant. Would certainly return.

Reviewed 22 July 2016

We came here to try grilled Brazillian steak and this seems to have reasonable reviews. First of all, I have to say that we are not very picky diners so I have no idea how bad the meat is from the other reviews I read. We had the buffet rather than the by the weight for our meal. The meat was over cooked, dried in some cases such as the pork and chicken wings, and extremely chewy and very SALTY! Everything in this restaurant is very salty. I forgo the grilled meat and tried the buffet hot plates. Everything is salty and dried from the beef ribs to the chicken breast to the rice with beans. The only thing which is not salty is the white rice without anything. The salad bar is our only salvation as the restaurant cannot add any salt to them. We were also charged with an 18% tip and service charge since we have a table with 3 adults and 3 children. It is the worst steakhouse that I have been to and I will highly not recommend it for anyone. The all you can eat is not worth it as the quality of the meat and the saltiness will curtail any appetite. Please do not come to this restaurant even if you are super hungry.

Reviewed 24 June 2016

First let me say, if you are expecting a gourmet Brazilian Steakhouse like the real good one in Boston, then you came to the wrong place. But if you are expecting a good Brazilian Steakhouse, with a nice buffet, salad bar, and yummy steaks/ pork/ and chicken, then you've come to the right place. We got the Groupon for $29 for two, and it was well worth it. I wasn't really a fan of the garlic steak, but that is just me. My favorite was actually at the buffet area; the big ribs that were so tender, they were falling off the bone. My wife really liked the Caesar salad......I think she went up there four times! The service was very attentive, and we were sat right away.

Nice place, in a weird area in Somerville......but some good food. I hope to be back again

Reviewed 16 June 2016

I live within a stone's throw on the one in Everett, and have driven past this one countless times. We finally had dinner here with a group of friends last Sunday. Just at the end of May, I ate in the Brazilian Specialty Restaurant onboard a Norwegian Cruise Ship, which was pretty fabulous in itself. I was blown away to find that this place was even better. The service is uber-friendly and efficient, and the meats were all cooked to perfection. The buffet had great food, not just mediocre "filler" food you freqently find at other buffet-style restaurants. I only had room to go back for very small seconds, which was disappointing, because the food demanded to enjoyed longer and for more platefuls than I was capable of eating that night. Next time, I'm leaving plenty of room! The selection of cut-to-order meats was outstanding, and every piece and type of meat practically melted in my mouht. The steak was especially delicious. The salad and fruit bar was very well stocked with a decent variety.

The pricing was extraordinarily reasonable. The bill for both my wife and I was $63.00, which included two trips to the buffet each one alcoholic beverage, one regular beverage, and tip! I would recommend going with the by-weight pricing (as opposed to the flat-price charge), unless you are planning on eating a good three or four platefuls of food. It will much cheaper that way. They also have a fairly decent selection of wines, and a nice full bar.