“Amazing cocktails and food”
Review of Highland Kitchen

Highland Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 347 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Highland Kitchen is a family-owned neighborhood restaurant and bar located "up the hill" in the heart of Somerville. HK has been delivering American comfort food, well-crafted cocktails, friendly service and a killer jukebox since 2007.
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Highland is a great local spot but you have to be flexible /willing to wait fir a table. Buffalo brussel sprouts and oysters are my favorite but the Cuban Ruben is a close second. So many cocktails to choose from it's too hard to pick a favorite!

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Apps: cheese fritters, octopus + a special - all were OK - not great.
Entrees - goat stew, jambalaya, chicken, ruben - first 2 were great - highly recommend both.
Great drink menu.
Service was inattentive - the place packed

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Highland Kitchen is a fun place. When you walk in it'll probably be busy and crowded and look chaotic but the staff there is on top of it. If you roll with it - grab a drink and hang out until you get seated - you will be glad you did, (They do not take reservations by the way).

This most recent visit I finally tried the goat stew and it was a very nice meal - hearty and spicy. Other favorites: grilled seafood, outstanding chili, jambalaya.

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Beware! No reservations accepted. If you don't mind waiting a bit, this establishment is awesome! Decent size bar area that you can reserve seats to dine by asking the bartender. Southern fare, excellent choices, and great service. On street parking or a tiny lot in the back. Loved it and will be going back soon to try other offers on the menu!

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Since moving to the area over 5 years ago and hearing rave reviews about the brunch, I have been wanting to go here for brunch for ages. Unfortunately, it did not meet our expectations.

Firstly, the hostess was not at all happy to see another face (30 mins into opening). I greeted her with a smile and hello, and she responded with a blank stare, which to me seemed very rude. I jokingly said to her, "well that was the most pleasant morning greeting." She then responded with a condescending smile.

Because the wait was over 45mins to an hr (they do not take resis), I waited inside the mosh pit and was lucky enough to score a seat at the cramped bar. There I watched the bartender take drink orders without asking anyone for a DL - despite MA having very strict carding laws. When he finally got to my order, he asked for my DL (I am in my mind 30’s). For some reason I felt targeted and it didn’t seem right to me, so I commented on what transpired. He seemed surprised that I would bring this up, and asked if it was okay, and I said, “No, it is not okay.” His reasoning was that he recognized everyone else and that I was a new face. This may have some truth to it, but can one truly recognize all 25+ people at the bar/surrounding area?

When it came to the food, my friend and I shared the fried green tomatoes as an app, which was delicious, and both ordered the huevos rancheros as a main course - a brunch item that I truly love. We both ended up only finishing 30% of it, because it was served tepid (almost cold), the sauce was runny, and the everything on the plate was tasteless.

As for the noise level. It is out of this world loud - live music + cramped space + tons of people yelling to converse with each other. I practically was yelling at my friend from across the small table and she still couldn't hear me.

Very disappointed... the wait was unfortunately not worth it.