“Pretty good Mexican”

Ixtapa Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #38 of 114 Restaurants in Watertown
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I had a Groupon so I tried this place on President's Day. There weren't too many people for lunch and we waited a little bit to be seated. It seemed like there was only one waitress and the manager serving the whole place. But the food came out in a reasonable amount of time; tortilla chips were fresh and there was plenty of salsa. My sister ordered the avocado salad and I had the Mercado Tacos. Both were good. The shrimp on her salad was seasoned well. It is nice to have a solid Mexican place in Watertown.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

I must admit I chose the restaurant because I was curious about the name "Ixtapas". It sounds quite authentic. Upon arrival, my lunch partner and I stood for a while as the host processed a check. The opportunity for him to say "Welcome, I'll be right with you." passed. A bit later, we were seated by a waitress in a typical booth. Chips and a very small dish of salsa was brought to the table. The salsa seemed home made and was delicious, if only the portion was not so stingily small. I inquired about a sign I'd seen on the way in TACO TUESDAY! $1 EACH. As it turns out, this is only true if you buy a beer or margarita. That didn't feel too good. So I ordered the combination plate of taco, enchilada and tamale. I was informed that the combination part was the rice combined with the beans and the combination only had one, either a taco(now 1 for $7.00 but you get rice and beans), enchilada OR tamale. The subsequent service was so poor we had to get up twice to ask for water, once for hot sauce, which was very hard to communicate, and again to ask for the check. The food was described by my lunch partner as mediocre cafeteria. As that will be my last time there, I close by saying something positive, which is the restrooms were clean.

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

We were one of two tables in the restaurant. Waited for about 5 minutes before anyone acknowledged us at the door. Chips came as soon as we were seated, then waited another 10 minutes before someone took order. Food came out quickly, then waited and waited for check. Food ok. Won't go back

Reviewed 12 November 2016

My wife and I like Mexican foods both traditional and Texmex. The Ixtapa seems to have it all. The food is delicious and the portions are large. The drinks are very good and the beer selection is large. The staff is great. They are friendly and attentive, we keep going back.

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

Been to Ixtapa Mexican Grille twice to really get the experience of eating like in a Mayan village and both times food here was beyond my expectations . The atmosphere , the music and service was mucho rapido. Would highly recommend the little slice of old Mexico in Watertown to all