“Authentic German food”

Hofbrauhaus
Price range: US$12 - US$58
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Then – The Hofbrauhaus has a long and standing tradition in Western Massachusetts. Established in 1935, the Hofbrauhaus started out as a fine dining establishment. During this prosperous time, a local am radio station (AM 1610), broadcasted live from the restaurant. It was the place to be seen. As the times changed, the Hofbrauhaus went through a transformation as well. During the 1950’s and 60’s it was a local watering hole where it catered to its thirsty patrons. It then reopened in 1972; again as the Hofbrauhaus, and bringing back the tradition of fine dining and great service and food. Upon entering the establishment you’ll notice immediately a change from traditional New England architecture. Using your sense of sight, you’ll notice the relaxed, fine dining, in the classic tradition. A bit of Old Bavaria in New England. The sights, sounds, and tastes of Old World Bavaria at the Hofbrauhaus. Where the staff is dressed in traditional attire, the beer is served in steins, and the European atmosphere is festive and inviting. about-hofbrauhaus-now NOW – Since the time he started as a prep cook 37 years ago, Joe Stevens hasn’t left the kitchen for very long. After mentoring under Master Chef Perry Defelice for 5 years, and graduating Summa Cum Laude from Johnson and Wales, Joe began his formal career as Executive Chef at the Mills Falls restaurant in Newton, and then at Pine Brook Country Club in Weston. From there he spent 3 years as Executive Chef and Owner of the famed Marliave Restaturant in Boston. Luckily for Western Mass, he moved to the Springfield area in the late 1980’s and opened the very successful Glass Lily French Restaurant in East Longmeadow, the 1995 Business West Best Restaurant award winner. Shortly after that, Joe decided to try his hand at German cuisine and bought the Hofbrauhaus in West Springfield. Since then, he and the restaurant have continued the award-winning reputation (MRA Restaurant Entrepreneur of the Year; Phantom Gourmet Top 100 List and Favorite German Restaurant; Pioneer Valley’s Best Chef Chowder Challenge winner) by serving classically prepared upscale German and Bavarian cuisine, as well as more contemporary, international fare.
Reviewed 26 March 2015

Lots of authentic Germann meals including game meat. Bes weiner schnitzel around. They serve it with a plum sauce to die for. Their house dressing is the best I've ever had. Of course, there's plenty of choices of German beers and wines. Save some room, though. Wait til you see the dessert cart!

Reviewed 6 March 2015

Read the title. Great Bavarian beer selection and attentive waitstaff. The atmosphere is seemingly authentic and the bar area is lively. Now the food....disappointing. If you do choose to eat here the sausages are the way to go. They have multiple entree platters which offer an oversized tasting menu. Mine was hit and miss. The rabbit and lamb shank were obviously not prepared that day, and it tasted like it. What I' did eat was very good. What I didn't was pretty bad. Forget dinner and just get two orders of the apple strudel. That was fantastic.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

After attending a show at the Big E fairgrounds recently, my husband and I stopped for dinner at the Hofbrauhaus, which is very nearby. We ate in the more casual bar area, to the left as you enter the front door. It was a cold and blustery Sunday afternoon, and there were only two other patrons, both sitting at the bar having a few beers. We took a table by the warm fireplace in the corner. A friendly and enthusiastic young man waited on us and was very knowledgeable about the menu; he took our drink orders and steered us towards a good appetizer choice. I loved the bar area atmosphere and decor; casual and definitely Bavarian. We received great service, being the only people eating at the time. The food was good--overall maybe not great, but good; I admit I've had better German Potato Salad, but on the other hand, the pea soup was wonderful. They had a wild game menu at the time--I don't know if this is just a special or if they offer it normally--and we both ordered off of it. I think I preferred my husband's elk dish to my stuffed quail, but my meal was not bad either. We sampled a selection of German beers with our meal and then split a dessert and had coffees. Great coffees; even my decaf had a good hearty flavor. All in all, a very nice experience. As we were leaving more people were coming in, so I think we were just there earlier than the normal dinner hour. At least, I hope so; this restaurant deserves more business than we saw! Nothing beats German cuisine on a cold winter's day....and we are having many of those this year, so I recommend you go warm up the Hofbrauhaus! (Oh--but it looks like they have an outdoor Beer Garden for the summer months, too! How fun is that??)

Reviewed 10 February 2015

Lots of great German beers, spirits and food. The decor takes me back to quaint restaurants in Germany. They serve complimentary cheese and crackers while you have cocktails and await your appetizer. Their deviled eggs are a house specialty. They also make an authentic table side Caesar salad the right way using fresh ingredients and no premade dressing. The food is goid and the atmosphere is friendly.

1  Thank Fred J
Reviewed 1 February 2015

I judge German food by Sauerkraut and IMHO the chef's here make it too sweet. I have researched recipes and sometimes apple sauce is added, and if that was the sweetener, it was way too sweet for my taste.
The rest of the meal was fine, promptly served, hot and well presented.
We arrived on a weeknight and only one party was there on our arrival and one showed up before we left. I suspect the bar gets more traffic.
Hofbrauhaus is an option for those on the west side of the Connecticut, but other choices are found across the river.