“Vegetarians beware”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Whately
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2018

I have been here twice for Valentine’s Day and both times have come away thinking that whilst the atmosphere is quite uplifting, the food itself is pedestrian. My husband and I have braved this place twice, despite there only being both times only one thing we could eat as vegetarians: a chewy, predictable pasta, that we later both confided could have come from Trader Joe’s. The thick steaks and lobster tails toted on le menu reminded me of my sixties childhood, when everything was over the top faux French, served with more elan than flavor or inventiveness. I would encourage the chef to go all out and reach for local gardeners and farmers, try that completely new recipie they’ve always dreamed of. Otherwise other than the setting -and extremely courteous service- there is no reason to return. Also, why not have a live band? You’ve room and certainly there are fantastic local musicians nearby.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

This used to be my Mom's favorite place to celebrate her birthday. The meals seem to have gone downhill in the past couple of years. Service was very good. Mom ordered the Lobster Savannah have to say she was soooo disappointed in her meal there was hardly any lobster in it. My husband and I had the beef and it was very chewy and veiny. The desserts nothing to brag about store bought very generic. The waitress was very apologetic. Atmosphere same for years .

Reviewed 7 February 2018

I've been going to the Whately Inn, literally for decades. Chef owned restaurants are most always a cut above, and the Whately is that.
I believe, the owner, Steve, now has his son taking over. Not positive. I always get the liver paté, which is one of the inclusive appetizers, plus a soup dejour or salad. and finish with the pecan pie, if they have it. Favorites: rack of lamb, cod.
I always enjoy the drive up from CT to enjoy a night at the Whately.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

I love eating here it is particularly great for special occasions. The menu has a vast array of delectable delights to tempt all gastronomic inclinations. My favorites are: the Lobster Savannah, the rack of lamb in delicious gravy, the potatoes au gratin (absolutely scrumptious) and there is always plenty to take home for a midnight snack. The Lobster bisque surpasses many in flavour and consistency.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

A great place for ambience and great food - basic American favorites with a gourmet touch. I was there the night after Christmas, the perfect choice on a very cold evening. The Inn's dining room provided the perfect setting on such a night - warm and inviting in the traditional New England way.