“food”

Ranked #83 of 181 Restaurants in Bay City
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Gyro's are the best and breakfast's are huge and very filling. Always busy and you get to see them cooking. Right in the middle of the downtown area, with lots of shopping all around.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Years ago this nice diner was on Braoadway in Bay City. It was forced to move due to the owners of the building. Amazing what greed can do. When it was in a downtown hotel it wasn't the right fit. When it moved to the old Caris Red Lion spot in downtown it was felt it found it's nitch spot. While I live out of state I would always go there for the great breakfasts when visiting family. Well I had heard it closed a few months back and then it reopened with some help. Well the whole inside has been redone. Gone are the model airplanes and the comic books on the walls. The atmosphere of a diner is lost. The new interior doesn't say welcome. All the old friendly and I do mean friendly staff (abet two) are gone. Small things like having sugar on the table is gone. The crayons for kids gone. The food was okay, but it was plain to see that the restaurant is being micromanaged and not well. The so called manager was in the back drinking a tiny cup of coffee, can only guess it was expresso. He was constantly on his cell phone with this cup and a smoke as he walked out the back door, did this four times while I was there with a brother, did not check on any customers to see how things were nor did I see him even lift a finger to ring up a customer, they had to wait until a wait staff came up.....the one that did your order. This made no sence to make a person wait for your person.....can't he even do that. Not happy about the changes, doesn't make me want to come back. I am afraid that if this continues the people will not come there anymore and the city will lose a real gem.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was there on a busy weekend, so perhaps that could explain the slow service, but not the no-flavor food. My husband and I both ordered omelets, toast, and hash browns. The omelets weren't even whisked. I could clearly see the whites vs the yolks of the eggs. My husband's omelet was incredibly runny. The hash browns tasted like cheap butter.
It took over an hour to get our food. The coffee was hot, but had no taste? It tasted like hot water? The coffee creamer was left on the table and not even cold. The temperature in the restaurant was 83 degrees and no one attempted to adjust the air conditioner. So, imagine a tiny restaurant, tons of people, greasy food, and lots of sweaty faces!

They should focus less on quantity of food and more on quality of food. The portions were literally disgusting. The prices are on the low side. I think people would be more apt to come back if they focused more on making flavorful food. Also, have your temperature set at 72 degrees, year round.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Today was our first time back at Rudy J's since its been reopened again. We were excited to eat at a local establishment we've eaten at since their simple beginnings in the small location on Broadway, before moving into Big Broadway, the Hotel, and then there current location on Center ave in the old Red Lion location. I've taken my crew to Rudys for breakfast before my wedding, went there for my brother in laws breakfast before his wedding and etc, so I think you can get the ideal of the level of commitment we've felt to the establishment. Today, I was horrified at what has become of my beloved eatery.

First, the greeter, this fellow has about as much personality and charm as the podium with the menus at the entrance. Where the hell did you guys find him? A call center for outdated computer tech support? He had to be told twice to take a drink order and couldnt understand milk for coffee versus the little cream tubs, it was nearly a mental meltdown on his part.

Secondly, Danielle was supposedly our waitress. "Supposedly" as she had to be told to take our order, never offered any drink refills, I got the coffee refills from the old school crew as they came by but by wife never got a drop of water beyond the glass she started with. Her and her hard bound ledger she was taking orders on was too busy running around lost to service the table she had with us. I believe she made 3 trips to the table, Order after she was told, Drop off food, and deliver the bill. The takeout carton we needed was delivered by you guessed it, someone else who saw our need.

We ordered our beloved breakfast burritos, and when asked what we needed we were given 1 sour cream, we pass on the salsa. When asking for a 2nd one each, we were informed they are now .89 cents each, Fine..... But in the past you could get 3 or 4 if you needed them, How about a suggested compromise??? 2 cups of side condiments - 2 sour creams, 1 sour+1 salsa, etc. You get the idea. before you start charging. I'm just saying.

Asked for a old school 2 egg mini omelette for the kid and its no longer available or an option, I'd have to get a $7+ dollar adult one for the kid for him to have any omelette, so instead of him getting what he loved about there he gets the kids eggs add cheese. One of the great things of Rudys' was the ability or willingness to do "minor" modifications for people, It was a signature of how you were special and was a personal, family touch. Today, Rudy J's seems to be ran like corporate american or a big box fast food joint? I'm sorry we no longer cater to the individual, select the mass market item and please pull ahead.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE............... Kathy, and the rest of the old school crew, remove or retrain the "Zombies" with personality, skill or and some sense of service dedication quickly so as not to have the location shut again for good. I understand everything cant be as it was, and costs and portion control are very real. Control that, as you are, but also fix the environment to be what it has( had) been since you were in the small cubby of a location on Broadway, where you roots are and were. I will be back in 30 days to try it again, and leave a new review. Lets hope it make the grade.

The best for last, The food was good, and tasted as good as ever, but the service and aura in there at the moment really really drags it down in our opinion.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I highly recommend this restaurant. They have a menu loaded with options. Prices are very reasonable, and the quantity/quality of food is excellent. Our entire family loves it here. Waitstaff is very accommodating and friendly.

1  Thank Melanie E