“Charming Historic Inn”
Review of Thunder Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bay
Thunder Bay Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Big Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2015

We snowmobiled into the Thunder Bay Inn to spend the night. Charming place but could use some updating, mostly bedding. We had a room with a tiny shower and converted closet with a toilet in it, a little tight, but adequate. We enjoyed out stay and would definitely do it again. Some of the rooms do not have a bathroom so if you don't want to use a "community" bathroom and shower make sure you ask when you make the reservation. They have a restaurant/bar in the building which has good food and is fairly priced.

Room Tip: Talk to Gretchen, the owner, about what your room needs are. They are all set up differently.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Luv2snowmobile

Reviewed 4 February 2015

Do not expect a Marriott in Big Bay. Thunder bay Inn has more charm than you could ever find at any chain hotel.
Extremely friendly, they go above and beyond to make sure the guests are happy. The food is as great as the atmosphere- well worth the trip!!
If you are lucky, you may meet the mayor in the restaurant/bar that is attached to the Thunder Bay inn.
Food was very good as well, Prime rib sold out before we could order, kinda bummed about that, it looked really good.
had the ribeye steak instead, was not disappointed. for desert we had the deep fried cookie dough sundae. Phenomenal !!!!
We will be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Henry Ford room, go for it!
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Novak169
Reviewed 7 January 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for or anniversary and had a great time. Great place great food and the hospitality was outstanding. The history of this building is very cool. Sit back and relax and dream of days gone by. Will definitely visit again

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2014

We stayed at the Thunder Bay Inn after watching Anatomy of A Murder which was filmed there. It was a well kept and our room was nice, but it felt a little creepy. We were the only guests at the Inn that night, so maybe it was because we were alone that it felt that way. The rooms are all on the second floor and there are many rooms on either side of a huge spacious hall way. Most of the rooms don't have a shower in them. There are antiques every where.This place had belonged to Henry Ford at one time and later on was used as part of the movie set for Anatomy of a Murder, which was based on a true story written by an attorney from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Jimmy Stewart, Lee Remick and Ben Gazarra were stars in the film and they had a nice photo display from when the movie was made. We also had dinner at the restaurant adjoining the Inn, which was a disappointment. The breakfast was soso...nothing freshly prepared or a hot. The price was reasonable though.

Room Tip: Choose the room that has the shower attached to it and make sure that the heat is turned on in your...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aromaticdancer
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was a referral of a referral for us...Came into Marquette from Chicago for the weekend to check out property, stopped at a local garage sale that was across the road from the little pond we were fishing in, got to talking to the people, were referred to a realtor and that realtor referred us to this Inn. Glad she did cause we did enjoy it. When we got there around 9-930pm on a Saturday night we went into the dining room through the double doors from the beautiful front porch and we were confused on how to find the front desk or check in. We heard voices behind a beveled door so my fiancé knocked. A gentleman and young lady came out and looked surprised. We asked if they had a room, that we were referred here. The man asked if we had a reservation, I said no that we are up from Chicago, new to the area and referred by our new realtor. He seemed hesitant at first, asked again about a reservation, but then said he had room and we followed him into the next room which looked like the gift shop. Guess that is the front desk/check in area. TIP for owners: make your check in/front desk area a little more obvious to new guests. So he gave us a queen bed room with a sharing bathroom to the room next door but no one was staying in the room so it was all ours. It was a good price. We checked out the room and it was quant, cozy, quiet and clean. I have read the bad reviews on here from a few years back and it seems they improved on the cleanliness since then. I was happy with the room and felt comfortable. Believe me I am picky when it comes to the room I am laying my head down in. There was no tv or phone which obviously is normal for a B&B/Inn, new for me. But your not up there to watch tv right. A few things about the bathroom, the outlet in over the sink didnt work, the toilet and the sink made a crazy sound when we flushed or turned on the water, i jumped back a bit lol. Must me the air in the lines. Other then that the room was fine. We met Gretchen, the wife, I dont remember the man's name, sorry...but she was so inviting and sweet. He was a little more reserved but nice...reminded me of my parents lol. I can tell you, if you have never been to a B&B/Inn it's an experience. This was my first time. You are basically staying in someone’s home and it was actually funny because me and my fiancé went in and out late at night to hang on the front porch and when going in and out and up and down the stairs i felt like i was a teenager sneaking around and hoping not to get caught by my parents LOL. The other thing to get used to is this/these homes are usually older and echo and creak but it definitely gives them character. This home from the outside looks to me like a Georgia mansion. I was a little creped out by the hallway on the second floor cause it was so dim with only one little light one when we checked in...and there seemed to be only a few others staying there that night so it was very very quiet and a little spooky like but my fiancé got a kick out of that and explored the open room. I stayed in the room and locked him out until he came back LOL. Again...something you have to get used to in a B&B/Inn. The next morning we went down for the continental breakfast, it was standard and worked just fine. The husband came down and said good morning and went on into the other room. Gretchen came out and said good morning and got more coffee. She had a brief conversation with another couple then came over to talk to us...she was sweet. She told us to just leave the key in the room and off she went into the other room. All in all i would recommend this Inn...planning on heading back up there soon with some family. I think my parent would really like this Inn. I gave it an Average rating right now cause we had such a short stay this time. Thank You for the hospitality~

Room Tip: Nothing at this time...short stay. Our room was a queen single bed with joining bathroom...looking o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine C

Been to Thunder Bay Inn? Share your experiences!