“Wonderful”
Review of Thunder Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bay
Thunder Bay Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Big Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2015

The Thunder Bay Inn is wonderfully quaint, nostalgic place! The owners are incredibly kind, helpful, and engaging. The Inn itself is very interesting and filled with antiques. The rooms are almost like bedrooms in a large home. Some have private baths but some do not (be aware when you book). It was very quiet while I was there but I could imagine it being noisy if there were many people with children (not a place I'd recommend for kids). The prime rib dinner I had was very good. The surrounding area is beautiful. Be sure to drive up to the lighthouse. If you don't already know, part of the movie, Anatomy of a Murder, starring Jimmy Stewart, was filmed at the Thunder Bay Inn. I brought my laptop and the movie and watched it in my room. Tres cool!! : )

Room Tip: Not all rooms have private baths.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank troyusa0727

Reviewed 21 April 2015

My Grandmother has lived in Big Bay for over 20 years and we have vacationed at her home on Lake Independence every year, My family always makes a routine visit to Thunder Bay Inn for the their delicious food and one-of-a-kind ambience. I dreamed of having my wedding reception at this hotel because of all the wonderful and fond memories I had coming here over the summers. Unfortunately luck was not on our side, and because this location is so tricky to get to for travelers, we opted for a wedding in lower MI. That said, the beautiful log cabin feel in the tavern area is incredibly warm and charming. Would absolutely recommend a stop in to any tourists. My favorite sandwich at the tavern, the Mary Pilant!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer A
Reviewed 9 March 2015

We snowmobiled into the Thunder Bay Inn to spend the night. Charming place but could use some updating, mostly bedding. We had a room with a tiny shower and converted closet with a toilet in it, a little tight, but adequate. We enjoyed out stay and would definitely do it again. Some of the rooms do not have a bathroom so if you don't want to use a "community" bathroom and shower make sure you ask when you make the reservation. They have a restaurant/bar in the building which has good food and is fairly priced.

Room Tip: Talk to Gretchen, the owner, about what your room needs are. They are all set up differently.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Luv2snowmobile
Reviewed 4 February 2015

Do not expect a Marriott in Big Bay. Thunder bay Inn has more charm than you could ever find at any chain hotel.
Extremely friendly, they go above and beyond to make sure the guests are happy. The food is as great as the atmosphere- well worth the trip!!
If you are lucky, you may meet the mayor in the restaurant/bar that is attached to the Thunder Bay inn.
Food was very good as well, Prime rib sold out before we could order, kinda bummed about that, it looked really good.
had the ribeye steak instead, was not disappointed. for desert we had the deep fried cookie dough sundae. Phenomenal !!!!
We will be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Henry Ford room, go for it!
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Novak169
Reviewed 7 January 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for or anniversary and had a great time. Great place great food and the hospitality was outstanding. The history of this building is very cool. Sit back and relax and dream of days gone by. Will definitely visit again

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple

Been to Thunder Bay Inn? Share your experiences!