Lowest prices for your stay
US$101
View deal
Free cancellation until 12/02/23
Hotels.com
IHG
Orbitz.com
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 November 2022

My wife, son, and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Brighton, MI the nights of 9/23 - 9/24/2022 to attend the U of M Homecoming game and do a campus tour. The night of 9/23, there was a huge wedding reception party on the outdoor patio 4 floors below our room. It was unbelievably loud, and even our son, who sleeps like the dead, couldn't sleep. The hotel policy as posted in the elevators is that the quiet hours start at 11 pm, and the patio closes at that time. Despite 3 calls/trips to the front desk, the party didn't end until 1:20 am, and the desk clerk the next morning said this was a problem, "we are working on."

To add insult to injury, the hotel charged our credit card $230 and $250, which I noticed shortly after we left the hotel, even though we had prepaid for the stay. I called and spoke with the desk clerk who looked in the computer and said we were charged for smoking in our room. Although we don't smoke, the hallway on the 4th floor smelled strongly of pot the night of 9/23, which is also not our thing. She said the charge was likely applied to the wrong wrong, went up to our room and verified that it was an error. I was told to call the manager, Marcus, the following day to request a refund.

To make a very long story short, Marcus did credit our account for the $230, but he went dark after that, and the $250 charge remained on our credit card bill. Over a two-week period I called the hotel multiple times and left VMMs for Marcus, but he never returned my calls. I called the IHG guest relations line and opened a case. Despite calling IHG twice and being assured of 24 - 48 hour turn around, I never heard back from them either. My guess is they called Marcus, and he blew them off too. Still, IHG should have called me back. So, I submitted a dispute with our credit card company, which was just yesterday resolved in our favor.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and I have never had an experience remotely like this one.

Room tip: If you must stay at this hotel, get a room at the front of the building away from loud and late parties on the back patio.
Date of stay: September 2022
IHG Service, Guest Services / Front Office at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2022

Hi JollyRoger425,

Thank you for leaving us feedback surrounding your experience with the Holiday Inn Express Brighton. We appreciate you choosing us and doing business with IHG®.

We are determined to provide our guests with a pleasant time, and I am sorry for what happened during your visit. I shared your sentiments with our hotel management and sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your stay.

Until your next stop in the area, we look forward to hosting you again to redeem your confidence in us. I look forward to your response.

Grace L.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 26 July 2022

DISGUSTING ROOM CONDITIONS- Arrived late to find our room had not been cleaned properly (despite the boldly displayed card on the room desk guaranteeing that it had been deeply cleaned).

The garbage can had not been emptied and STILL HAD THE PREVIOUS GUESTS’ FACE MASKS AND THEIR COVID TEST SWABS/KIT in the garbage can! Called and explained the situation to the front desk clerk who was shocked and apologized. Told the front desk person we were placing the garbage can in the hallway outside our room and wanted to speak to the manager in the morning.

In the morning (with daylight in the room) we realized along the side of one of the beds, between the bed and window, there were TOE NAIL CLIPPINGS ALL OVER THE CARPET. Obviously, the area had not been vacuumed prior to our arrival. Went down to the front desk, explained the situation to a different front desk clerk, showed photos we took, and asked to please have the manager contact us.

Because of weddings in the area, all local hotels were full, and we could not find another property to move to. So, that afternoon we ended up getting cleaning supplies from my sister in Brighton (we were there to visit her family) and vacuuming the room ourselves and wiping everything down with Clorox wipes etc. We had no faith in the cleaning staff making it right since they had not even attempted to do a decent clean before our arrival.

What made the situation more infuriating and just downright insulting was the boldly displayed sign on the desk in our room saying the hotel corporate policy guarantees a deeply cleaned room, and if there is any problem to contact the front desk immediately to make it right. Well, we did that, and the manager never bothered to contact us.

Despite showing photos to the front desk clerks of the garbage can (with covid tests swabs/kits and face masks) and the carpet littered with toe nail clippings and making multiple requests, the hotel manager didn't care enough to contact us during our 3 night stay despite us asking 4 times at the front desk to have him contact us nor after we left, nor after filing an official complain with IHG hotels.

Don’t boldly display a sign boasting how clean the room is with a guarantee for it and how you will correct any mistake, when the garbage can (with COVID TESTS!) has not been emptied and the floor have toe nail clippings on the carpet etc has not been vacuumed. Then, despite 4 separate requests by us for the manager to contact us about the room, we were never contacted by the manager. In the end, it was just insulting and disgusting.

Photos attached.

Date of stay: July 2022
1  Thank Richard B
IHG Service, Guest Services / Front Office at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2022

Hi Richard B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay. We appreciate you for choosing our Holiday Inn Express And Suites Brighton, where our guest's needs matter most.

Providing an excellent level of hospitality is our topmost priority. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. Your honest review is very important. I will share this with our appropriate hotel team to take the necessary steps to prevent the same issues from reoccurring in the future.

I have sent you a private message to discuss this further.

I hope we'll remain to be your dependable choice, as we promise to make your stay more memorable and exciting.

Yours in hospitality,

Melissa P
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 12 July 2022

I made a reservation in may for a 2 queen bed and pull out couch suite for a trip on the 7th of July to the 9th my daughter needed a consultation for a spinal surgery through the Michigan university specialty care center! They messed up the reservation 3 times I had the hospital call so I could have a discounted rate which was supposed to be $94 dollars a night! Called a week before said reservation and was told my rate and they hadn’t changed it per the hospital rate talked to a woman named harriett who said she would fix it and then she called me back and said everything was all set! Fast forward to the actual check in with kaleb and I asked my rate it was $94 and when we got up to the room it was a king suite well I had my two daughters with me and my father so that was not going to work went back down they put us in the original sure I had asked for after showing them my original confirmation email! Checked my back account the next day and they had authorized a charge for over $325 which didn’t seem right with me! Went down stair to talk to the front desk kaleb again and asked to speak to the manager Marcus no manager ever contacted me through my stay! Kaleb told me they had upgraded me to my original reservation with the rate of 139$ which was not correct because the hospital got me a rate of $94 he said he would fix it..well checking out I asked harriett again what my rate was and she told me $139 I again said that was not right and she agreed with me and said she would fix it and send me a receipt to my email and give me a call! Again I asked to speak to the manager and was told he was not there! I checked my account later that night they had taken five different charges from my account : $118.20 $122.20 $199.04 and 2 separate charges for $93.84 totaling 627.12!!!! They over charged me a total of $403.08! I have continued to call the hotel to speak to the manager and have been hung up on and told he is not available I called customer care and was hung up on and then called back to speak to a supervisor and was told that the hotel would have 48 hours to take care of the problem! Still not contact for the hotel or the manager! Worst customer service ever I will never be staying at a holiday inn express again I’ll stick to Wyndham!!

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank alyssan814
Reviewed 27 January 2021 via mobile

We stayed here as a team for a baseball tournament, I will say, our room was very spacious. Our kids were able to have their own sleeping areas because not only did the 2 queen bed room have a pull out sofa as well but there was a chaise chair that my daughter loved. We were able to sit in the lobby with plenty of room to talk as parents while the kids hung out. The staff was friendly and everything was clean.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2020 via mobile

This is a very clean, well priced hotel. All staff encountered were very friendly. It was a quick overnight stay but I felt very comfortable with the cleanliness of the room and the rest of what I saw. They also have a nice grab and go breakfast. Would definitely go back!

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple