See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 January 2016 via mobile

Nice cabins! Herald andPat the owners very nice. The cabins very clean. I will be back. In the cabin they had everything that you need in the kitchen but groceries! Very cozy! Its right off the trail.
We were very impressed it's a campground to if you have a RV they have hook ups

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2014

Biked from Grand Rapids to Cadillac via the White Pine Trail. Stayed in hotel 1. The room was super clean and nice! The heater, shower, layout made the room very relaxing and gave me the warm feeling of staying in a cabin in the woods. The owners were very kind and waited for us to get in, we didn't arrive until late at night due to some cycling setbacks. Showed us to our room and even locked our bikes up in his barn for us. You don't get that kind of service at a large generic chain hotel!

Room Tip: Hotel Room 1 is where we stayed as it has two beds.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 16 September 2014

My wife grew up in Midland, MI, and for our summer vacation she took us to places she visited growing up.

She has quite fond memories of Lake Cadillac, and thanks to Birchwood Resort, the other three of us do, too.

We rented their pontoon boat and swam and fished the afternoon away.
We celebrated Mass at St. Ann Catholic Church, and then cooked our fish in our cabin (#8).
It was great.

The next day we biked 7.8 miles around the lake,
- seeing the logging train in the Park in the Lakeside District (~ 2.5-3 miles, at the eastern end of the lake)
- having fun on our bikes at the skate park
- ice cream at Cheryl's Landing
- seeing the Clam Lake Canal

While we weren't in a fire mood, there is plenty of room for an outdoors fire.

Instead, we melted our marshmallows over the stove (quicker speed appreciated by all with hungry tummies), and went outside to play frisbee and kick the soccer ball.

When we accidentally tossed the frisbee onto a roof, the owner happily brought it down for us.

Oh... and they have popcorn in the lobby for guests.

We strongly recommend Birchwood Resort!

Room Tip: Cabin 8 is the largest and was just right for our family of four, and could sleep another couple more.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Birchwood Inn over Memorial Weekend. Despite being right off of M115, it was very nice and pretty quiet. EVERY, and I mean, EVERY item you could want or need is provided while staying in a cabin is provided. The place was wonderfully clean. Yes, the bathroom is fairly small, but the water hot and pressure pretty darn good for a cabin -- I have been in hotels with less pressure and temperature. The owners, Harold and Pat, are very approachable, friendly, and are more than welling to answer questions, provide directions, etc. My husband and I plan on going back as soon as we can. We travel frequently and stay in everything from 4 star hotels to rustic cabins and for friendliness and just kicking-back, Birchwood Resort ranks right up there.

Room Tip: Cabin 7 and 8 are awesome!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

O.K., they have nice, fluffy towels and the inside of the cabin was clean. There are docks on the lake to leave a boat. They are in the process of fixing the cabin exteriors which is very much needed. The windows on the remodeled cabins open. There is a wooded path to the lake with narrow docks for boats (you cross Sunnyside Road to get to the lake); there is not anywhere to sit & relax by the water and there is not a swimming beach. The cabins & campground are right on M-115 so there is traffic noise, but this is true of any cabins in the area. A playground is advertised; it is basically a very old swing set and an old tractor tire in a weedy area adjacent to the dumpster. The one-room cabins are pretty tight accommodations although I think if the furniture were rearranged, it could allow more 'elbow room'. The showers are very, very small but have great water pressure and do the job. As another reviewer stated, Howard and Pat keep a pretty tight rein on what is in the cottage. I have to admit I felt a little like being in a half-way house; there were "do not" signs posted throughout the cottage along with clear notes that if the kitchen wasn't left spotless, there would be additional cleaning charges. Maybe the owners have had bad luck with prior renters, but due to all the signs, I did not feel all "warm and fuzzy" to be there. Another reviewer mentioned people have stayed there for years & we did meet two couples who do that. One owns a camper that is on-site and another rents a cabin every year. I probably won't return mostly because of all the 'do not' reminders. And for you fisherpeople out there, one guy told us he caught > 30 fish one day and almost that many on the day we chatted with him. He was in the fish-cleaning cabin a long time. Based on the few fish we caught, we're guessing he was just finding some 'alone time' :) . O.K., I truly can't attest to the quality of the fishing, we just didn't catch any but that's not the first time that has happened. Cadillac, by the way, is a pretty nice area; I totally recommend the area but would probably look for other lodging.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
haroldf354, Owner at Birchwood Resort & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

We are still the owners, it will be 19 years in October
Please give us another chance.
thank-you!!