“Average but so worth the location”
Review of King Copper Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Copper Harbor
King Copper Motel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Copper Harbor
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I've stayed in the Annex numerous times, including my honeymoon. No frills, old, and rarely is there an attendant. Nonetheless, it will do, and when you are sitting directly in front of Lake Superior in the dead of night, you'll know how special the view.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 October 2017

I called to see if there was a room available on the lake. I thought great. Needless to say after we checked in and was given our room, I was very disappointed. The room had a somewhat a view of the lake, not what I was anticapting. I thought the rate for the room was rather expensive for what it was. There was no phone in the room, no internet and I had to go outside to another building for ice. On the bright side had a good night sleep.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017

The entire reason we selected this motel to stay at was because it was the only place advertised in the peninsula that had rooms right on the water. It was very important to us to be on the water as much as possible on this trip. We had reserved a beachfront room for two nights several months in advance.
We had a few problems the day of our arrival and didn't get there until 9:15 PM. When we arrived the office was already closed and there was a list of room assignments posted on the door, stating that the keys were in the rooms. The room we were given was NOT in the building on the water. There was a note on the desk in the room stating that there was a plumbing problem in the other building and we would have to stay in this room for at least the first night and they would TRY to get the problem fixed the next day. Well, we had a full day of sightseeing planned of the Keeweenaw National Heritage Park sites and didn't have time to pack up and change rooms in the middle of the day, so they could give the room we were in to someone else.
We had had a VERY difficult day and this was the last thing we needed. We needed some information about the area for the next day, but had no one to ask and there was no directory of local services or attractions in the room. There was also no information about the hotel in the room, such as where the ice machine was . The hotel has stated previously that the office was open until 10:00 PM, but this was not true. Another party arrived just before us and another just after us, and we were all put in rooms near each other, so we can all attest that it was between 9:00 and 9:30 when we all arrived. For them to have left a note on the office door and keys in all the rooms they had to have closed down pretty early. We had a lengthy discussion with the other arrivals about how ridiculous this situation was in the parking lot.
I was nervous about whether they were going to have a reservation for us at all, because they did not give us a confirmation number over the phone when we booked the room months ago, and they did not mail or e-mail us a confirmation. They also did not inform us of ANY cancellation policy when we made the reservation and NONE is stated on their website.
The waterfront room I had reserved was supposed to be a newer, larger room. The room we received was very small and the bathroom was tiny and had no vanity. The sink was tilted so it was impossible to set anything on it without it sliding off. They knew there were 4 people in our party, but the bathroom only had towels for 3 people and no bathmat. What towels there was were very thin. We had to run the water in the shower for 5 minutes before it even got lukewarm enough to get in. There was NO hot water at all!!!!
Everything in the room was very old and the mattresses and pillows were very thin and uncomfortable. The bedspreads had to be 40 years old. Room also had no phone and no way to contact the manager. The wi-fi did NOT work at all!! Normally, I would not complain about this, but we had a situation back home and needed to be able to contact the outside world. If the wi-fi and cell service doesn't work you really need a landline!!
Since they knew ahead of time that they had plumbing issues and could not give us the room we had reserved they should have called us to let us know what the situation was and gave us the option to stay elsewhere. We did have cell service for several hours ( all the way up the peninsula ) before we arrived. We could have stopped an hour earlier in Houghton and gotten a decent room. It is not acceptable to try to give someone a room that is much less than what they reserved and then not even be there in person to tell them that they were being moved to their face.
We were very tired but couldn't get any rest as there were many guests sitting outside and partying until nearly 1 AM. We turned on our porch light to let them know they were bothering people, but they couldn't take a hint. Our patio door was stuck and did not open. Who were we supposed to complain to? ( no one in the office, no landline, and no cell service ) Totally unacceptable!!!
I was shocked that the restaurant next door didn't open for breakfast until 8 AM. People need to be getting a much earlier start than that for sightseeing. Those taking the boat to Isle Royale didn't have anywhere to get breakfast.
After breakfast there still wasn't anyone in the office. We encountered a maid coming to work who informed us that the office didn't open until 10 AM. Are you kidding me????? No one to help people check-out until 10 AM !!!!!!!! I've never heard of anything so ridiculous! Most people check out of motels between 7 and 8 AM. So, we turned over the note they left us and listed all of the reasons we were leaving and left it in the office with the key. We also told the maid that we were doing so. She repeated that she couldn't help us and no one would be in the office until 10 AM. We had a lot of places to see and couldn't wait around until 10 AM. Never in my life have I checked into and out of a motel with NO ONE on duty. I certainly feel that arriving at 9 PM and checking out at 9 AM reasonable hours to expect a clerk to be on duty.
About 4 PM someone from the hotel called us and wanted to know where we were. They said they didn't know anything about the note we left and told us that we couldn't cancel our reservation without 48 hours notice and that we would be charged for 2 nights in a waterfront room. First, we tried to explain to her that we didn't spend the night in a waterfront room and the caller kept insisting that we had and didn't believe what we were telling her. She said she would have to speak to the owner, but she never called back. We didn't leave for NO reason. We left because they did not give us the room type we had reserved, they stuck us in a much smaller room without a view, they did not provide enough towels or ANY hot water, and there was no one on duty to assist us in any way, both when we arrived and when we were ready to leave in the morning. We had NEVER been informed of any cancellation policy and there was no motel or local information in the room. All of the reasons why we left were validated and out of our control. The hotel did NOT provide us with what we had reserved and didn't even meet our basic needs of towels and hot water.
I have waited a while to submit this review because I wanted to see what would become of our bill, as no one from the hotel ever called us back or sent us a letter or e-mail. We never received any apology for not receiving the room we had reserved or for any of the other problems that we encountered. Thankfully, we never were charged for the second night that we did not stay. There was no way that we were going to pay for a second night and would have disputed it as far as possible with our credit card company if they had tried to charge us.
This was one of the worst experiences that I have ever had at a motel and we felt the public needed to know about our experience. Do yourself a favor and stop in Houghton so you can get a good night's sleep and be able to contact the rest of the world.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This is a basic motel that is very conveniently located for the Isle Royale ferry. I reserved it well in advance with no problems other than it took me two emails and two phone calls before I could get them to send me an email confirmation. The room itself was fairly comfortable but is in desperate need of some TLC. The nicest features are the chairs outside which face the view of the lake. The bed was clean and comfortable and they did have ice. The building is right across the street from the ferry parking lot. If I ever go back I might try the competition across the street.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed in the annex on the lake. Beautiful, peaceful view. Room was clean. No refrigerator; but plenty of accessible ice. No microwave; but, free popcorn & microwave use in the office. Proprietor was super helpful and accommodating.
Couldn't ask for anything more.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Been to King Copper Motel? Share your experiences!