US$276
Westin.com
US$379
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
The Inn on Ferry Street(Detroit)
US$169
US$158
US$286
US$271
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstayed at the holiday innvalet parkingpeople moverbig citycomerica parktigers gamecobo centerfree breakfastvalet staffbreakfast staffford fieldyogurtjoe louis arenaclean hotelred wings gamehiedowntown
Reviewed 28 July 2017

I stayed here in late July 2017 while traveling for business.

When I pulled up to the entrance and asked about a self-park option, I was told "You COULD park over there, but there is a good chance your "stuff" (substitute another S word that TripAdvisor won't allow) will be broken into." Not the most professional first impression. Proceeded inside to check in (around 7pm) to an unstaffed desk, only to have a random man (non-employee) tell me that the desk staff member would "be back shortly."

Checked into room, only to find the portion of the security latch on the door had been broken off, rendering the latch useless. The door also had to be kicked to close fully and allow the deadbolt to engage. Clearly, someone had tried to force their way into the room at some point in the past, and the repairs were only partially successful. My room, as well as my two coworkers' rooms (AND the breakfast area), also had fruit flies or fleas flying around inside.

The morning after checking in, I texted the valet stand with my info 20 minutes before leaving for the morning, as directed, so my car would be ready. When I arrived downstairs, my car still wasn't there. It was clear they had missed my message, and after waiting another 10 minutes for them to bring my car up, when the valet driver got out of my car, he strongly smelled of pot smoke. If this had been my personal car and not a rental, I would have been UPSET.

Upon checking out, I heard a desk staff member tell another customer that asked HIM how he was doing (shouldn't the desk staff be asking that question?) that "I'll be doing much better when I get out of here tonight." Again, a bit unprofessional for your front desk staff to seem so annoyed to be at work.

Overall, due to the customer service issues, seemingly sketchy location (multiple warnings posted about safety), and worn rooms, I would avoid this hotel again at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
HolidayInnDetroit, Social Media Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Hi KY2Auburn
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Firstly, I would like to apologize that we missed the chance to provide you with a flawless stay. Let me assure you that we take great pride in the service and experience we provide to each guest and anything less than excellent is not acceptable. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured they will be used as a training tool to prevent such unprofessional incidents from reoccurring again. We give the utmost importance to our guest feedback as they help us monitor and improve our quality of service we provide to our guests. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel has fabulous staff a fantastic complimentary breakfast and great location to comerica ball park. It is however in need of a freshen up. The pool liner needs to be replaced, carpets old, doors need to be painted and bathrooms recaulk! But it is an older hotel and to be expected. The beds were very comfortable and felt new and was a fine hotel for what we used it for. Again, the staff were fantastic.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
HolidayInnDetroit, Social Media Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Hi Chrys
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our staff greatly appreciates your kind remarks. Please know we are in the process of refreshing some of our guest rooms and look to unveil a new guest room experience soon. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I would love to give this hotel a 5 star based off of the friendly staff but that's where the too notch ends. It is an older hotel but updated. We were here for a huge concert so delays were expected and the staff handled the crowd well. Our room was ok. One of the curtains was pulled apart but the room was clean. Parking was a nightmare. The valet was so busy and it took forever. In the morning we went down for breakfast but most things were gone and not being refilled. Even these yummy cinnamon rolls were scarce and when they finally brought out more they were cold. Not sure I'd stay here again but for the price compared to other hotels in the area it's ok.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnDetroit, Social Media Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Hi Jennifer
Thank you for staying with us. Our staff takes great pride in knowing that their excellent customer service is making a difference to our guests. Please know that we are in the process of refreshing some of our guest rooms and look forward to unveiling a guest experience soon. We always strive to provide guests with the best service and experience. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I recently spent four nights here for a major martial arts tournament at the Cobo Center. The hotel is only 2-3 blocks from the Cobo, so it's very convenient for any sort of event at that venue. It's also very easy to access the interstates (I-75 and I-94), Michigan Rt. 10, and the bridge and tunnel to Canada, so it's very easy to get around.

I was especially impressed with the hotel staff. Everyone from the desk clerks to the parking valets to the maids were very friendly and efficient. When I made the reservation, I had requested a king bed plus a rollaway bed so we could fit 3 adults in the room. When I checked in, the clerk said that there might not be enough rollaway beds because so many people from the tournament had requested them. So without hesitation, the clerk upgraded our room (at no additional cost) to a suite with a king bed plus a foldout couch, which turned out to be much nicer and roomier than the room I had originally booked. Thanks!

The valet parking is a bit pricey, but the parking is right on site and the valets are very efficient, so I thought it was worth the price. With the valet service, you can get your car as often as you want (unlike some other hotels I've been to that charge extra for in-and-out privileges).

The free breakfast buffet was very good with at least one egg dish (scrambled or mini omelette), sausage, bacon, pancakes, muffins, cereal, and awesome cinnamon rolls.

The free wifi worked well and there's a very nice indoor pool on the top floor.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
HolidayInnDetroit, Social Media Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Hi Jim P
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience at our hotel. We try to make everyone's visit memorable by providing the best comfort, the friendliest service, and the best amenities. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay. We look forward to we welcoming you back the next time you are in downtown Detroit.

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a baseball game. Location is convenient to Comerica Park. Room was clean but a little stale. Door to bathroom did not latch and tub had a slow drain. Valet parking is only option at 27. Westin next door was 20. Breakfast was just ok as well.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
HolidayInnDetroit, Social Media Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Hi Mike R
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve the quality of service we provide to our guests. Please know that we work with our valet provider to ensure that our parking rate is competitive within the city. We look forward to welcoming you back again.