“Take the trip down here, u won't regret it”
Review of Taqueria El Rey

Taqueria El Rey
Ranked #142 of 1,188 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Was apprehensive about the neighborhood this restaurant was located in,but once we parked our car right outside the door we forgot all about the neighborhood.
We were attended to by a very chirpy and informed waitress who really went out all stops recommending the items on the menu. The ceviche, corn tacos and the steak plate with beans and rice were sublime.
What I liked :- the beef was fantabulous crispy and flavorful
What I didn't like :- nothing.

1  Thank Muzzo S

Reviewed 1 May 2017

Stopped here for out 2nd stop on a taco binge and we enjoyed our lunch. The place is small and we sat at the counter and had a good view of the kitchen. There were a lot of takeout orders and the kitchen puts lout a fair amount of food for their limited size. I had Lengua and Asada and my wife had Lengua and Cabeza. All of these were delicious and done just right. We'll be back!

1  Thank TRbeer
Reviewed 3 April 2017

Taqueri El Rey was highly rated on Trip Advisor and other sites, so we chose it for our first visit to Detroit's Mexican town. While the storefront was nice enough, old but looking well kept, next door and attached was a plywood looking shack belching BBQ smoke that turned out to be some type of outdoor or maybe indoor extension to the restaurant or kitchen ? (Not sure)? As we went inside, there were a decent number of customers, but the place looked old and about 30 years in need of a make over, including the worn formica edges, down to the dark brown substrate on every table and also the main diner counter, and also a dingy yellow cast to seemingly everything. While we were greeted warmly enough by the host, we chose not to stay.

Ha me wondering if the other reviews on Trip Advisor are accurate or not? Had dinner somewhere else in Mexacantown and it was quite good.

1  Thank KennyMSQ56
Reviewed 20 January 2017

I received a recommendation from a native Detroiter for Mexican...it turned out to be a chain restaurant that I will not name. So, I ventured off on my own and stumbled upon this TER. Wow, I win. There are many good items on the menu; my son and I ate chicken tacos, the ribs, rice and beans. The standout item on the menu is the chorizo. Incredible. Pick what you want, but try at least one dish that has the chorizo!

1  Thank Brian J
Reviewed 5 October 2016

This is your hole-in-the-wall Mexican in a just slightly sketchy neighborhood....so you know you want it! Had excellent street vendor type tacos, nice variety of fillings, but you kinda expect that just looking at the place. The surprise (OK, not a total surprise, I read other reviews first, of course!) was the outside grills grilling chicken! Nicely seasoned and grilled, a little char on crispy skin but still juicy! I probably wouldn't call it BBQ, although technically I suppose that's correct, because most people think of BBQ sauce on BBQ chicken. This is more like you might grill at home (if you were an excellent Mexican cook!). So ya gotta order the chicken and some tacos, too, and share with your friends!

1  Thank Daddin458